fifty eight

"I couldn't talk to her

"I couldn't talk to her." Miyeon sighed, laying back onto Mark's couch. The sound of children's excitement could be heard from outside, but in the house only two of them were sat playing The Nightmare Before Christmas on the TV.

He knitted his eyebrows together, setting a cup of tea for her down on the coffee table. "Why's that?" he frowned, taking a seat next to her. She shifted in her blue scrubs, rubbing her temples after her tiring shift.

"I don't know much about this odd conspiracy you guys are trying to unravel, but what he told me just sent shivers down my spine." she took the cup into her hands.

"And that was?"

Miyeon pursed her lips in hesitation, still in disbelief from Jisung's words.

"He told me he's her son. I know I didn't believe you all at first, I thought she died years ago, you even showed me the footage." she took it up to her lips, taking a small sip.

Mark's eyes widened just a fraction, feeling the same chills rush through his own body.

"He's never said that to any of us..." he trailed off. "Do you at least know why she's admitted? And how her condition is?"

"After running into her son, I at least got a hold of her current records and her admission statement. She's been dealing with a spiritual tumor for the last thirteen years, dating back to when the crash happened- and for some reason that all makes sense." she began.

"Wait, I thought spiritual tumors were only caused by shifting accidents?" Mark questioned.

Miyeon paused, clearing her throat to go into depth.

"From the security footage you guys showed me of the crash, it looks like it caused a fire for a moment, but someone put it out in the car. Only a master would know how to put out someone else's flames so easily though."

"Jisung."

Miyeon's eyebrows raised, taken aback by his sudden answer.

"Okay, sure. But if the crash was caused by someone who had malicious intents towards her, they probably sparked a fire during the collision, which Jisung luckily put out. That's probably what caused the tumor, she's been getting at home treatment and medicines to help it, but she also lost her shifting with the tumor." Miyeon further explained.

Mark stayed silent, trying to connect all of the dots together.

"What heals shifting loss and tumors?"

"Tumors are a lot easier to deal with, just a lot of hydrotherapy. Shifting loss on the other hand... jeez. The only reported case of it being healed is due to sacred medicine practices, ones from the Moon Tribe." she pursed her lips, making his eyes light up.

"Moon Tribe? That's the one my friend Seorin is from, maybe she could help!" he grinned.

"We can't just let strangers into the her room, her's specifically is on an extreme lockdown. Right now, she doesn't even have insurance- she's barely getting treated." Miyeon looked down, remembering the image of her frail body.