Chapter Twelve: Alex

After spending the rest of the school day avoiding the raven-haired girl, Alex was ready to be home. She discovered that she did in fact share a lunch with Reina. Spotting her talking with the other shorter girl. Her girlfriend. Alex was confused by her feelings for the pair. From what's she's heard most werewolves tend to have insane jealously and anger toward even the thought of their mate with another. Yet, Alex found the thought of Reina and the dirty blonde together unproblematic and maybe even...normal. Like, of course they're together. Why wouldn't they be?

Alex growled in frustration, kicking a rock that was in the middle of sidewalk. She had decided to walk home from school that day. Well, "decided", because just before school ended, she got a text from Jason saying that Nick had offered to show him around town. And they took Jason's truck.

Alex's thoughts again turned to the confounding enigma of Reina Alverez and her beautifully mysterious girlfriend. When Alex entered the cafeteria earlier in the day, her eye zeroed on Reina's turned back. It was like she was a magnet, always drawing Alex toward her. She and her girlfriend were talking to each other and looking around anxiously. However, Alex fled the room before they could find her. Skipping lunch and hiding out in the bathroom. Ignoring both her wolf and her dick struggling against its bindings. Only leaving the safety of the restroom once the bell rang indicating the end of lunch.

"You should have talked to mate," Xandara's grumpy voice broke into her thoughts.

"No. I don't need a mate. We've been doing just fine on our own!" Alex snarled back though her heart ached with longing, but she forced that feeling down.

"I want more. For you. For us." Xandara murmured.

"You never cared about mates before. Why does it matter now?" Alex asked.

"I- I didn't know how wonderful it'll feel to have a mate. We didn't grow up with a pack or with other werewolves. Maybe if we had..." Xandara trailed off before growling," The closest thing we had to a pack was her." Alex winced slightly at her wolf's anger but before she could try to soothe her, another voice broke into her thoughts.

"Alex! There you are," Grace was standing on her porch watching her foster daughter approach. She had only arrived home a few moments beforehand. "I thought you rode with Jason today?"

Alex sighed, "I did. He's hanging with that guy from yesterday. Nick."

"Yeah. He texted me but I assumed he would've given you a ride back. I would've given you one if I had known."

"It's ok. I don't mind walking," Alex shrugged.

"Can I ask you something, Alex?" Grace asked sitting on the front step and indicating for Alex to do the same.

"What about?"

"That girl from the morning. Um, what was her name? Oh, Reina!"

"What about her?" Alex asked a little too quickly.

"I was wondering what happened between you two. She offered you a seat, but you ignored her. Why?"

Alex forced a shrug, "I felt like sitting somewhere else."

There was a pause. Then Grace calmly stated with a raised eyebrow, "she is very pretty."

"Yeah, she is," Alex sighed wistfully. Staring off into middle distance before jumping and looking guiltily at Grace. "Wait. I didn't mean,"

Her foster mom cut her off with a gentle laugh, "don't worry. I won't say anything. I remember being a teenager and being so shy around my crushes."

"I'm not shy," Alex muttered sullenly.

Grace just smiled and stood. "The twins will be off from school in about half an hour. Emma is going to bring them home with pizza." With that she left her foster daughter sitting on the steps and staring blankly at nothing.