Chapter Thirty-Five: Alex

Approaching the forest, Alex could still sense the anger coursing through Reina. The three mates stopped at the edge of the verdant trees. Alex gripped Reina's hands and pulled her close. Dana just watched them from a few feet ahead.

"Are you upset with me for dueling Scarlett?" Alex asked softly. Reina sighed softly and pulled her mate's head a couple inches closer so that their foreheads touched.

"Alex. I've only just gotten you. My role is to protect you and Dana and when you agreed to fight Scarlett...it scared me. I've seen her defeat many other opponents...I don't want you fighting nonsense duels. She had no right to question your position as the Warrior Princess."

Alex sighed softly, "I've fought many people. I'm used to people thinking I don't belong..." At this Dana moved closer and her mates brought her into their embrace.

"You belong with us," Reina said firmly giving Alex a soft kiss.

"Always," Dana agreed. "Just next time, maybe talk to us before accepting random duels." Alex chuckled softly.

"Deal," she agreed.

"Now enough with the sadness blah!" Dana declared with a clap of her hands. "It's time for a run. I was kinda thinking since we haven't seen Xandara before, and Alex you haven't seen our wolves, that you could shift over there," she indicated some bushes. "And Reina and I will shift somewhere else. Then we can re-meet up and go for the run."

Alex nodded stepping away, "sure. That sounds good." With that the three of them went in opposite directions to shift into their wolves.

Alex took a deep breath and allowed Xandara to take control of their body. Dropping to all fours as the shift occurred. Once the shift finished Xandara shook out her midnight black fur and made her way back to meet her mates. Apparently, she had finished first so Xandara sat back on her haunches and wrapped her tail around her paws as she waited.

Less than a moment later two wolves appeared from the trees. The one on the left was brown with neon green eyes, and the left side of her face was black with the right was white. Xandara knew instinctually that this was Dido. She towered over the small pure white wolf with bright silver eyes to her right. Instinct again told Xandara this was Dana's wolf, Avalon.

For werewolves' size usually indicated rank. An Alpha is generally twice the size of normal wolf whereas Omega is just barely larger than that of normal wolf.

Xandara rosed to her feet at the sight of her mates. To both of their surprise she stood even with Dido, maybe just a hair smaller. Dido sniffed her face then moved around her body, Xandara stood still as Dido inspected her. She started when Dido abruptly growled loudly.

"Who did this to you?!" Her mate's words echoed in Xandara's head. Peering over her shoulder, she saw that Dido was glaring at the scars crisscrossing her back. Xandara couldn't help but whimper softly at the flashback of painful memories. Her tail moved between her legs and she slumped down defeated. Avalon moved forward and began licking her face. She laid down as well so that their faces were even with each other.

"It's ok love," she murmured. "You can tell us when you're ready. We won't rush you."

Dido ran her tongue across Xandara's back before laying down as well placing her head on her mate's neck. After laying there for a moment, her mates could feel Xandara relax. Once she felt her mate release her tension, Dido spoke.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to trigger you."

"I'll be fine," Xandara sighed. "I've just gotten used to not thinking about it. When you brought it up, the memories just came flooding back...I just don't really want to talk about it right now."