Chapter Forty-Four: Alex

A couple weeks after the party, Alex was still hesitant about fully moving in with her mates despite Grace and Emma's assurances that they would support whatever decision she made so long as she kept her grades up. A part of her, (as well as her wolf), desperately wanted to officially move in but she knew that this step would mean that she would have to reveal everything about her past. Including the parts that she didn't want to think about. So, Alex compromised with herself. During the week, she stayed at the Stonewall-Smith's, after school she would join her mates in training. Then she would stay with her mates over the weekend.

This particular Saturday morning saw Alex cuddling with Dana in a recliner in the game room while they watched Nick and Reina play Mario Kart. Jason was supposedly working on homework in the other chair, but his papers were forgotten in favor of watching the game and cheering on his boyfriend.

"Cheater!" He yelled when Reina used a red shell to pull into the lead.

"Take that you bas..." Reina shouted, ignore Jason, but she cut herself off when Nick's character began pulling closer to her. The others refuse to play with them because Nick and Reina were incredibly competitive when playing the game.

"That was a fair move, and you know it," Dana said in defense of her girlfriend. Jason just scowled and made a mark on his paper. Dana continued in a quiet voice to Alex, "are you ok? You've been quiet all morning."

Alex had been absently mindedly tracing patterns on Dana's stomach and thinking. When her mate spoke to her it snapped her out her reverie. She just smiled softly at Dana.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she said softly. When Dana still looked concerned, Alex elaborated, "I was just thinking. Don't worry. It's nothing." Dana frowned disbelievingly but before she could say anything another voice spoke up.

"Will you guys just get a room already," Celestine called from the couch. She had been so far quietly scrolling on her phone and ignoring the others in the room.

"We've already got one but thanks anyway," Alex teased. Glad to have a distraction. She and Celestine had reached a truce in their relationship. The turning point had been the party when Celestine learned that Alex refused to have sex with her drunk mates, the witch began to begrudgingly respect the former rogue. Celestine just rolled her eyes and returned to her phone.

Reina and Nick had reached the final lap and were neck in neck. The two of them were sitting close to each other and kept bumping into each other as they tried to get the lead. When, suddenly, a voice spoke through the mind-link.

"Reina, I need you and your mates in my office. Immediately," Queen Maria said sounding serious.

"Ah-ha! I win!" Nick shouted gleefully as Reina paused the game.

"No, you didn't," Reina snapped. "I just have better things to do."

"Sure, whatever you say," Nick teased. At that point, Dana grabbed Reina and pulled her out of the room. Even as she was dragged out, Reina shouted.

"Just wait until I get back!"

Alex rolled her eyes while chuckling softly and followed them to the Queen's office. After knocking and being inviting inside they found the three queens who were gathered around Maria's desk.

"Moms? Is something the matter?" Reina asked.

"We're not sure yet. A witch is near our border and harassing the border patrol. You three and Celestine are to go and investigate," Maria explained.

"We think this will be a good test for you. See how you've your progressed and work together," Tomi added.

"You can count on us!" Dana squealed happily, jumping up and down, clapping. Then she mind-linked Celestine to meet them at the front door. The apprentice witch created a portal. They had to be outside of the mansion for the portal to work as one of Reina's ancestors had a spell place on the mansion to prevent anyone from opening one inside the Royal home itself.

Alex hesitated. "Is this safe?" she asked.

"Of course, it is," Celestine said. "I passed my portal exam last week."

Before Alex could question anymore, she was pulled into the portal by her eager mates. They exited a little way away from the clearing where the patrol encountered the witch. Pushing through the bushes at the edge of the clearing the group came across an interesting scene.

The ten strong patrol was in wolf form and were encircling a young woman on a floating broomstick. The woman was sitting sidesaddle on the broom. One of the patrol members charged at her and just before the wolf could grab her. The witch shot up twenty feet in the air. She cackled and called taunts down onto the patrol. After a moment, she drifted back down to the ground. The patrol growled and looked ready to charge at the witch again.

Reina stepped forward and cleared her throat. Commanding in a sharp firm tone, "that's enough! Stand down!" The mysterious witch pouted at Reina.

"Spoil sport!" she cried. She was dressed a long robe-like dress with her long auburn hair tied up into a ponytail. Her violet eyes were sparkling with joy and madness. Then those mad eyes widened, and the woman shouted, "Fluffy!"

Alex sighed softly recognizing the woman. Her mates could feel a confused set of emotions raging from her. Glancing over, Reina wasn't too surprised to see Alex's face was stoic despite the ball of emotions in her chest. Rage, betrayal, grief, and a small bit of happiness were all spun together into a pain knot. Sighing, Alex stepped forward and spoke.

"What are you doing here, Daisy?"

"Looking for you. Of course, imagine my surprise when my tracking spell led me to the border of the Royal fucking Pack! I thought you must be a prisoner. But," her eyes narrowed, "I see that isn't the case."

Reina decided to step in. "Lady Daisy. I am Alpha Princess Reina Alvarez. Is there something we can help you with?" Daisy frowned at Reina and lifted an arm. Alex growled and stepped front of Reina.

"Don't even think about harming my mates," Xandara snarled out through Alex's mouth. "In fact, return from whence you came, witch."

"Oh, Fluffy. Still bitter about the vampire?" Daisy taunted. Xandara growled. Dana stepped forward and placing a calming hand on Alex's shoulder who then took a deep breath. When she spoke again, it was with Alex's voice.

"What's going Daisy? Where's Lei?" she asked gently. At the mention of Lei, Daisy's expression turned murderous.

"Don't you know?!" she snarled. "He has her! Probably on one of those whore Queens' order." At this insult all the wolves in the clearing growled.

"Daisy," Alex started but before she could speak, Daisy screamed.

"Traitor! Sit tibi ut capti in memoria pessimi!" A black beam of energy raced out her hand and hit Alex in the chest.

With a pained cry, Alex fell to her knees then crumpled into the arms of Dana who had dropped to catch her. Reina and Dana both could feel excruciating phantom pain on their backs. Reina shouted for the wolves to grab Daisy. Who had teleported away. Meanwhile, Dana was begging Alex, whose eyes were closing, to stay awake.

"I can't...I don't..." Alex mumbled as she lost consciousness.