Chapter Thirteen: Alex

The next morning Alex woke up before dawn due to Xandara pacing around her mind. Werewolves needed to shift at the minimum every few days or else they would start feeling sick and their wolves would go stir crazy. Alex hasn't shifted since they moved and Xandara was starting to feel the effects. So, after leaving a note saying that she was going for a morning run; Alex slipped into the woods behind her new neighborhood.

Once she was sufficiently far enough into the forest, Alex passed control of her mind and body to Xandara. It was like their consciousnesses were two halves of the same coin. Therefore, when she wanted to shift, Alex just pictured the coin flipping and landing on Xandara's side. The first shift and next few subsequent ones were quite painful; but, by this point Alex has shifted so often that she no longer felt the pain. Though it was still rather uncomfortable feeling her bones break and shift.

A few moments later saw Xandara standing proud in her full form. She was larger than a normal wolf and kept Alex's hermaphroditic traits and the jagged scar on her face. Her fur was a deep midnight black along her back the fur grew jagged barely covering scars that crisscrossed her back. Her eyes were twin sapphires. Xandara stretched out before beginning to run. Weaving in and out between trees.

Stopping, she sniffed the air. She could smell water not too far away. Heading toward the smell and quickly coming to a small narrow stream. Dawn light was just beginning to break over the trees. A small thirst made itself know. At the water's edge, she leaned down and began to lap up the cool clean liquid.

Suddenly, she felt a pair of eyes on her. Unfriendly ones. A low growl echoed across shallow stream. Xandara turned toward the threat assuming a defensive position. A male werewolf was approaching. Her initial thought was that he must've been a Royal Pack member. But the wind shifted carrying his scent toward her. This was a rogue wolf and by the smell on him; a dangerous one. He reeked of blood and garbage.

Loner rogues like Alex just smelled like a wolf, lacking any distinctive pack scent. Whereas some violent rogues like this one reeked of their misdeeds. Alex was simply pack less; she was orphaned as a baby. Most loner wolves voluntarily left packs for one reason or another. However, some wolves were banished from packs for violent and/or dangerous actions.

Judging by his smell, Xandara knew that this rogue was murderer. He continued growling at her, but she just stood her ground and watched him. Finally, he leaped at her from across the stream.

His attack was reckless and wild. Obviously, he was used to overwhelming opponents with brute force but Xandara would not be easily bowled over. She moved with focus and agility. Dodging his initial leap. When he stopped to reposition himself for another charge with his back toward her, Xandara struck. She leapt on his back and wrapped her jaws the back of his neck forcing him down. Growling, she demanded his submission. When he went limp, she released her hold. Only for him to try and grab her throat but Xandara was prepared for such duplicity.

She grabbed his throat and ripped it out. Watching dispassionately as his final breath gurgled out. Xandara washed her muzzle in the stream but stiffened at the sound of approaching footprints. She quickly turned and fled into the woods. Not in the mood for another fight.

A moment later, a small patrol from the Royal Pack happened upon the dead rogue. They quickly sent a message alerting the Royal Triumvirate of the corpse.