Chapter Twenty-Seven: Dana

Dana threw her phone down on the bed and sighed in sad frustration. Alex wasn't answering any of her texts or calls. She had known that Alex didn't really like the Royal Pack, but she hadn't realized how deep her hatred ran. It was Saturday night, a mere few hours since it felt like her heart left her. She had cried herself to sleep once her mate had placed her in the bed. When she awoke, she saw that Reina was pacing and muttering to herself at the end of their bed. Dido had returned control to her once they were in the room, but Reina was still restless.

"How could she say those things?" Reina muttered. "How could she say that we were using her? Lying to her. We're her mates! We could never..."

With concern lacing her voice Dana spoke, "Please Rei. Sit down. You're going to make yourself sick with worry." Reina looked at her mate before nodding and sitting down on the edge of the bed, but she still fidgeted with her hands.

"How can we fix this?" she whispered.

"I don't know," Dana sighed. "But we have to. Alex is..."

Reina growled softly, "Alex won't talk to us!"

"Alex is our mate. She didn't outright reject us." Dana placed a comforting hand on her mate's shoulder. "I think we should give her some time and space."

"What if she does end up rejecting us! Dana, never has anyone rejected becoming a member of the triumvirate. I don't even know what would happen if Alex did reject us. The stories I've heard about mate rejection..." Reina's voice trailed off as she stared off into middle distance. Dana has heard the stories as well. Unless it was very mutual rejection then most wolves who are rejected go through serious and painful withdrawal-like symptoms. Some can even go permanently insane or even die. With the Royal Triumvirate being so much stronger than most wolves, it is uncertain how they would be able to cope with pain of rejection.

Suddenly there was a soft knock on their door, "girls? Are you guys going to come down for dinner?" Lara said opening the door slightly to look inside. The two heartbroken mates exchanged a look. Neither of them were feeling particularly hungry.

"No mom. I think we're just going to turn in for the night," Reina answered. Lara nodded and smiled kindly.

"I understand. I wouldn't worry too much about Alex. Just give her some time. She'll come around. Goodnight you two. I love you."

"Love you. Night Mom." Reina said. With that Lara left and the two of them quietly put on their pajamas. They each wore pair of flannel pajamas. Dana's was light purple with ducks while Reina was a more traditional red and black flannel. They laid sideways down on the bed, with Dana being the little spoon.

"Do you think it will really be ok?" Dana asked quietly.

"Yes," Reina answered, her voice was confident, but her eyes were uncertain.