.37

Saturday.
Alex.
'She hasn't told me yet. She wants to tell me in person.'
'Oh c'mon, this wait is killing me.'
'Yeah, tell me more! I don't know if I should worry, or... I know nothing!'
'Do you think she's still not telling you because of Jenny?'
'I'm not sure, but knowing Perrie, probably. It can't be that important anyway or she would have told me straight away. At least I hope so.'
'True. I still can't believe you guys are going to have another baby!'
'It's crazy, isn't it?! Considering she said no for so long. And 'cause we had Sienna so early in our relationship, I feel like it has always been the three of us and now we're going to be a family of four. Well... four, plus...'
'The other baby.'
'Yeah... the other baby...'
Matt noticed a change in Alex's tone and his anguished expression.
'What's the matter?'
'What?... nothing.'
'Alex, I've been your best friend since we were like, twelve or something: I know when something's wrong.'
'It's just... I want things to work out for everyone and I don't want any of my children to ever look back at their childhood and have nothing but happy memories.'
'Where are you going with this?'
'I keep thinking of my family as a family of four when in reality I should think of it as a family of five. I can't keep referring to her as the other baby. I'm scared I won't be able to do it and she's gonna start feeling less important then mine and Perrie's children growing up. I don't want her to think that I don't care.'
'She won't. You and Perrie literally had no clue on what you were doing when you had Sienna, but still did a smashing job with her. You were born to do this, trust me. Unless you're starting to have afterthoughts.'
'I've always known it wasn't gonna be easy. Then Perrie started going on about the fact she thought that baby wasn't mine and I never really thought that could be possible. Until...'
'Until?'
'Until she told me she was pregnant too. It's like my brain was foggy and all of a sudden, after she said we were gonna have another baby, together, that fog disappeared and I started to see things through.'
'Do you think you didn't want to believe Perrie because you wanted another baby?'
'I still don't think Jenny would lie about something like that, but long story short, yes. I was so desperate to have another child that I didn't want to consider the idea of having that baby taken away from me. But thinking of it, Perrie's wasn't such a crazy thought and I definitely am not proud of the way I reacted.'
Matt's leg started to shake as he became more and more nervous.
'Are you gonna promise me not to overreact if I tell you something then?'
Alex looked worried. 'You're scaring me. What happened?'
'Yesterday morning. Me and George had the morning off whilst you were at training, so we went out for a bit and as we stopped at a red light, we saw a girl...'
'Can you go straight to the point please? You're giving me anxiety. You're worse than a woman telling stories.'
'I know sorry, but it's important. So, we stopped at the traffic light and George waved at this girl. I started teasing him asking who that girl was and he told me her name was Jenny and to stop being an idiot because there's nothing between them.'
'Right, so?'
'So, I obviously understood it was your Jenny, pregnant Jenny, and since she was with a man, I asked him if he knew who he was. George told me that's her ex boyfriend but judging from what he saw, maybe they got back together.'
'What does that have to do with me?' Alex knew, but he wanted confirmation from his best friend.
'George also told me that he heard from someone that she's pregnant and it's probably his.'
Alex remained silent for a while, whilst Matt kept looking at him waiting for the big reaction, which eventually came.
'Why did you wait so long to tell me?!'
'It's not even been twenty four hours. I wanted to know where your heart was before telling you and make sure you would have listened to me before biting my head off like you did with your wife. They might have got back together after she got pregnant, I'm not saying she's a hundred percent lying. But maybe you should start asking yourself a few questions. Yourself, and Jenny.'
Alex started shouting, letting his fears and panic taking the better on him. 'What am I supposed to do now?!'
Matt didn't know what to say. He looked at his friend and remained silent.
'I got no proof she's lying to me, how can I turn up and say now, all of a sudden, I don't believe her anymore. What if then I'm the father but she's too bitter to let go and won't let me see her? It's a lose-lose situation.'
'Calm down. There has to be a solution.'
'Perrie would never forgive me if she was right and I didn't believe her.'
'Would you blame her?'
'...no. Matt, seriously, what am I going to do?'

[A few hours later.]
'What are you going to tell work then?'
'I've only got an appointment on Monday, I can easily move it. What about you, instead?'
'If I go training early in the morning for a couple of hours I should be able to be free for the rest of the day.'
'Alex, mate, are you sure this is a good idea?'
'Of course not. It's a horrible idea and it's not gonna end up well, but I told you. I need proofs before I confront her and this is the only thing I can think of right now.'

'Oh, and Perrie is to know absolutely nothing about this story. Nothing, so not a word.'

[Hi everyone :) How are you all doing :)
I'm still very busy at the moment and struggling to find time to write the finale for this book :/
Also, we're almost at the end... I think there will be just a few more chapters to go, which makes me really sad but pretty excited at the same time because I want you all to find out about all these secrets lol
What are Alex and Matt going to do now... they're definitely up to no good haha
Thank you very much for all your love and support, let me know what you think about the chapter ;)
Love to everyone xxx
P.s have you watched the girls' concert for Compare the meerkat? They were stunning and was so good to see them back on a stage!]