Chapter 17: Masquerade Ball

The main hall was shining, it was an extravagant ball. Everything was sparkling, the stage was designed by pretty bouquet of flowers and the sign Masquerade Ball was written in a very elegant calligraphy. Masses of flowering plants were banked high around the room. Stone fountains sprayed arcs of shimmering water up into the air. And each tables were skirted in pale pink with low bowls of yellow roses in the center and votive candles flickered brightly. The tables were full of different types of foods and desserts, like Radiatore with Sweet and Spicy Picadillo Sauce,Linguine with Scallops and Saffron, Tofu Salad with Chestnuts and Apple Dashi, Pan Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Penne with Triple Tomato Sauce. And of course, the delicious sweet desserts, it won't be perfect without them, like Raspberry Napoleons with Tangerine Sabayon, Creme Caramel flan with berries, Topaz with pineapple, Montmorency cherry cream cake, White blancmange with the aroma of almonds from its milk, Pear tart and many more. No diet is allowed today, it's a day for enjoyment. But of course, it won't be perfect without the princes and princesses. They were now walking on the aisle with its soft red carpet. Everyone was wearing beautiful ball gown and suits with their masks on. Some of them can recognize each other, the others can't'. They all proudly showed their extravagant gowns. Everyone looked at the last princess who glided down the aisle, everyone was astonished, as they saw the most beautiful princess of the night. Wearing a long emerald green strapless sweetheart beaded ball gown. With her ruffled skirt, her hair a little bit curled straighten down on both sides of her face, a crystal tiara on her head, and a golden butterfly mask. But no one knows who she is.

Professor Dovey took their attention, they all shifted their attention to the stage.

" My dear princes and princesses, it's the day you've all been waiting for. I don't want to make you wait, so I'm announcing that the Masquerade Ball of this year will now Begin! " she swayed her wand and created shining bubbles on the whole room. They were astonished to the shining bubbles floating in the air. A waltz music filled the room, they started dancing with their chosen partners. Everyone was enjoying the night, dancing with their prince and princesses.

Kiko was wearing a white aquamarine ball gown, making her skin radiant with her blue mint mask. A boy approached her, and gently asked for her hands. Though she was roaming her eyes on all the boys, searching for Tristan, she's not even sure if she can recognize him with his mask on. She accepted his hands, and went on the dance floor. Unbelievably, she felt at ease with his presence.

" You look so beautiful tonight, that I can't stop myself from approaching you. " he said with a very soothing voice. While swaying with the music, his hands on her waist.

" Thank you. Though I don't know if I should believe you since I had a mask on. " she quickly answered.

" Believe me, I know you are. You seem lonely, are you waiting for someone to dance with you? " he asked.

 She bit her lips and lowered her gaze," Ah, no it's not like that. I'm sorry, it's not like I don't want to dance with you. "

" You have someone you like? Can you tell me? I'll listen to you. Don't worry, I won't tell it to anyone. I promise. " he swore.

Kiko hesitated, but she felt like she can trust him, " It's a boy I like since the first day of school. Though he picked me as his princess at the Snow ball, I know he likes someone else. He just chose me because someone already asked for the hand of Beatrix. I'm always watching him, but he never noticed my feelings. I think, he thinks I'm already annoying, always following him. " she sniffed, trying not to ruin her make up under her mask.

" Are you really sure he doesn't like you back? " he asked.

" Yeah, I know him, I'm always watching him. He never showed any interest in me. " she said, wiping her tears. All this time, she's been hoping that Tristan will notice her if she works hard. But now, it all sinks to her mind. He won't ever love her back, it's all useless.