Chapter 36

"Goodbye, Gee," Andy whispered.

"No, you can't go, they're gonna kill you," I said.

"I'll be okay," he said.

"No, stay here with me and Daddy, you're safe here," I said. "It'll be okay, he's always taking people in and protecting them, it's what he does."

"Really, I shouldn't, It's just--"

"Please, Andy," I begged.

He sighed and nodded. Andy carried me up to the porch and rang the doorbell. He set me down and I fell onto my butt just as the door opened.

"Daddy!" I cried.

"Oh my god," Frank muttered.

He scooped me up into his arms as I sobbed.

"Oh Kitten, my sweet little Kitten," he mumbled.

I sniffled, burying my face into the crook of his neck. I felt another pair of arms wrap around us.

"Oh, Gee, we missed you so much," Jamia said.

"Oh, Mia Bia!" I sobbed, hugging her too.

"Wh-who's this?" Frank asked as we all pulled away finally.

"This is Andy, he helped me get home," I said. "Can he stay for a little bit, he needs help."

"Yes, of course, anyone who helps my little kitten is welcome in my house," he said.

Andy looked around nervously as he stepped in. Frank set me down and I swayed for a moment before I fell.

"What's wrong?" Frank asked.

"Oh god, your tail," Jamia gasped.

Frank looked at my tail, his eyes watering.

"They cut off your tail?" he asked. "What does this have to do with you not standing."

"We--like cats-- rely on our tails a lot," Jamia explained. "We use it to help us balance. Now that Gee's tail was cut, he isn't able to balance."

"So he's never going to be able to walk again?" Frank asked nervously.

"He will be over time, he has to just sort of, like, learn to walk again," she said.

"Can't you help me grow my tail back, Daddy?" I asked.

"No, Baby Boy, I'm so sorry, I can't," he said softly.

I looked down sadly, my lip quivering.

"Hey, Andy, I'll show you to your room," Jamia said.

The two of them walked off and I smiled up at Frank.

"Oh, Daddy, I missed you so much," I said.

"I missed you too," he said. "Let's go get you cleaned up and then maybe you can have a warm bottle and a little nap before dinner."

I nodded and he carried me upstairs. He ran a warm bath and I smiled softly.

"You gonna join me?" I asked.

"Yeah, baby, of course I am," he said.

He took off my nightgown and froze. I looked down as my lip quivered. Even Daddy thought I was ugly now.

"What happened to you?" Frank whispered.

"Daddy, it was so scary! It hurt so bad!" I cried. "They didn't never even give me anything to make me go sleepy or take the pain away. Only Andy helped me."

"I'm so sorry, Baby," he whispered. "I-I'm so sorry, I should've protected you like I was supposed to. This was all my fault."

The two of us cried together as we held each other tight.