1.

I watched intently as the deer crept towards the trap I had set. My grip on my spear getting tighter, my knuckles turning white. 

The air around me was warm, a slight breeze blowing every once and a while. The sweat dripping from my brow was evident. I had been trying to get a deer to come to my trap for over an hour. 

I squatted down behind the fairly large tree I was behind, breathing deep and making sure to not make any noise. If I lost this kill my father would again be disappointed in me.

My father is Tristan, the general of our army of earthborns. 

Since I'm his only child, everybody treats me like I can be in charge also. A sense of pride washes over me when I think about it, I've worked hard my entire life to earn the respect of our people. Although I still don't have my father's respect, the only person I have ever wanted to impress. Being able to kill people is one thing, which I have done plenty of, but hunting for food is another.

I pressed my lips together as the deer bit down on what I laid out. I paused, my breath hitched in my throat and a sense of excitement flooded my body. 

This was it.

I hurled the spear at the deer with all of my force. It went right through the animal's stomach as it fell to the damp ground. 

I had slowly over the years lost all sympathy for anything. I had been taught my whole life that you have to need to survive and that's it. Taught how to be stronger, faster, and smarter. 

I looked back and forth making sure nobody else was around. Then I walked towards it, tied the legs together, and started dragging it towards our camp.

Our leader, Anya would hopefully be happy too. I've been her second since I was small, she says that when she dies she wants me to be the commander.

I trudged over the many rocks and roots until finally arriving at the camp. I could hear all the men talking, training, laughing. I squinted my eyes and looked around for my father. I figured he should be with Anya, I walked to her tent and pulled the cover-up. Revealing my father and her, sitting at a rotten wooden table. They both raised their heads at me, Anya smiled when she saw the deer. Though my father still didn't do anything.

 "Good," She said as she cupped her hands around my sweaty face.

"You're a natural" She smirked. I had never hunted before, just people, never animals. My father sat back and stared at me, not saying a word.

She then pulled down the shoulder sleeve of my shirt. It revealed all of my burn marks. Whenever you get a successful kill in battle you get a mark. Right now I have twenty-three, not nearly as many as everyone else here but still respectable.

"More is yet to come" She whispered.

I gave her a small smile, desperate for her approval.