2.

I abruptly woke up to angry shouting.

"River!"

After the first person, many other people started screaming my name. Even half-asleep, my body shot from the floor. I rubbed my eyes in panic and put on my shoes. Then I walked outside, squinting at the bright sun, when my eyes focused I noticed everybody was gathered around the camp walls. A lot of people were arguing and yelling about whatever.

"What's going on?" I said loudly hoping it would calm down the commotion. But nobody seemed to hear me. I asked again.

I lost my patience after the second time and I hit my spear into a boulder, causing a loud clank.

"Somebody tell me what the hell is going on!" I screamed at the top of my lungs and everybody looked back at me.

I motioned for someone to explain the second the commotion calmed down.

Then they all tried to explain at once. My ears became matted with a jumble of voices, giving me a headache almost immediately. 

"One person!" I shouted.

Lincoln slowly walked towards me, parting the crowd. He had his face paint on, which made him look intimidating with his dark complexion.

"Something has landed here, not even a mile from our camp. Tristan sent a couple of people to go see what it is. We can't be sure yet"

My eyes widened.

"It came from the sky?" I raised an eyebrow.

Lincoln nodded.

I had to go see what it is, my curiosity overpowering my common sense, I made a run for it. Then I felt hands on me pulling me back.

"You are not leaving this camp young lady!" I heard a familiar voice and groaned. I've heard that saying about a thousand times. Everybody else went dead silent.

"Why not" I mumbled.  "I already sent people to go see what it is, it's not your concern"

"But I just want to see it, you know how sneaky I am. Nobody will see me" I felt like a ten-year-old. I'm nineteen and my father won't even let me outside the walls.

"You have no clue what fell out of the sky. It could be a pack of reapers for all we know. Just be patient, it's probably something you can't handle" He said.

"Okay," I said. I glided past him and then rolled my eyes. I picked up my spear from the ground and started looking for Lincoln. Where he lives there is a way to get out of camp secretly. Even though he can leave camp whenever he wants and do whatever.

"I'm sure Lincoln won't mind if I go through his house for just a second" I whispered to myself.  Of course, it was hunting day, everybody had also left.

I snuck through the little passageway and got out into the open. Then I ran in the opposite direction.

I had run for about 10 minutes now and I could hear voices. A lot of them. It was a huge group of something. They sounded like us.

They were humans.

There was a huge dropship and a bunch of other kids that looked close to my age. They were all standing in a cluster and it was hard to make out faces.

"We have to find Mount. Weather!" I heard a feminine voice yell.

Mount. Weather, that's where the mountain men are. These newcomers aren't good. I can see them already trying to kill us.

I got a sick feeling in my stomach. Then I heard people's footsteps. They were running in my direction.

I panicked and ran away. As far as I could, not back to camp but to wherever I could find.

Finally, I saw a river and it brought back a lot of memories. But I pushed them aside and walked across the stepping stones, trying to keep my balance. After that I sat behind a tree, catching my breath.

Humans, coming from space?

They can't be trusted...

A couple of minutes later I heard their voices again. I turned my head slightly just enough to where I could see them.

They were regular looking people with regular outfits. Not looking like they could harm anyone. Five of them. They talked a lot, mostly things I couldn't hear because I was so far away. Then a brown-haired girl started stripping down, then jumped into the river.

"Well that wasn't a good idea" I mumbled to myself, watching closely.

Something snapped in me, I wanted to scream at them. I wanted to tell her to get out. I knew what creatures lurked in those waters.

But soon afterward it was too late. Her scream echoed through the woods, signifying that the creature had found her. I winced and turned away, not wanting to see her slowly get eaten.

But soon later her screaming stopped and I knew she was dead. I didn't have any feelings towards it. I had seen a bunch of people die. I had killed people too. So this didn't affect me. Then I heard her talking again, breathlessly. I looked over and she was alive.

Wait, what?

They were pointing in my direction. They need to get to my side. I shook my head and started climbing up the tree, just in case they do get across.

After a while of thinking about how to get over the river, they found a rope. A boy with long hair tried to go first but he kept backing out.

It not that hard to swing on a rope, I laughed to myself.

Then a boy with goggles went. He grabbed on and pushed himself off of the rocks,  He actually got across. He was right under where I was sitting in the tree. I held my breath, thinking he might hear me if I make any kind of sound.

He held up the Mount. Weather sign that my people had found a while ago. We just dropped it here, not knowing where else to put it. They all started cheering. Then I saw a spear come down from a tree across me and it hit him right in the neck/chest area. He fell down and started choking.

The cheering was over now. I had never seen anyone look so scared before.

The shooter of the spear was one of my people. I could see him. Now he was aiming another one at the four people left below.

Something came over me. I have no idea what it was, but a strong urge to protect these people washed through my bones like a wave of electricity. 

I jumped down from the tree.

"Run!" I screamed as loud as I could and threw my spear directly at him in the trees. It hit him square in the chest and he fell straight down.

They all ran and so did I.

What the hell did I just do?