70. Long walks on the beach

April 2014

"I still can't believe this is my life," I mused out loud to Zayn. "Do you ever just pause for a second and really think about it all? Like, how the fuck did we end up here?"

"It doesn't feel real."

I was having one of those moments where the weight of everything that had happened to me and to all of us in the last four years was sort of hitting me all at once as I stared out into the Pacific Ocean. The gentle sound of waves crashing against the Peruvian shoreline were so peaceful as I sat there beside Zayn with our toes in the sand, watching the ocean ebb and flow beneath the dark night sky, which was only illuminated by the few twinkling lights from the private beach houses that were scattered along the coast in Lima, Peru.

After our show on the first day we landed in Lima I had made it my mission to submerge myself in all that Peru had to offer for the next two days that we were there, which included Zayn relentlessly arguing with Paul until he finally caved and it resulted in a rented private beach house for the next forty eight hours, just for me and Zayn.

We had spent nearly the entire day in bed just having sex and listening to Bob Marley, drinking Cognac and having more sex. At some point in time I ended up on the balcony writing in my journal, listening to Simon and Garfunkel while Zayn laid on the lounger smoking a joint and reading Walt Whitman; it was pretty much the perfect day and every time I glanced over and caught him looking at me, we settled into this dynamic where we felt like a team that just got each other. It almost felt like we were in a real relationship.

After we watched the sun set Zayn and I had decided to stay on the beach and we just sat there talking about life for an eternity it seemed, basking in the warm breeze and all I kept thinking about was how I had never dreamed that I would ever be able to have this kind of life already at 20 years old and for many, many reasons, I was so lucky.

"Let's take a walk," I suggested, standing up and brushing the sand off of my bare legs.

I reached my hand out for Zayn to grab a hold of and he took it, standing up and following me down to the shoreline. We walked hand in hand along the beach, the waves reaching up to soak our feet as the wind blew through my curls under the multi-colored bandana head scarf that I was wearing because Zayn had told me he liked me in bandanas and so that became all I ever wore.

He looked over at me and smiled softly, squeezing my hand a little tighter.

"Today was fun, huh?"

"I think today's been one of the best days I've ever had," I replied, returning his smile.

"Imagine if this was our life. Like, having a house out here we could escape to. Just waking up to morning sex and coffee and then writing some music, reading a bit and just, like, creating art all day on the beach with no one around. Going out for a date night once in awhile and then coming home to this, ending the night with a long walk on the beach."

"That sounds amazing. Can we have a house in the countryside too, with horses so we could go horseback riding?" I asked excitedly.

"Of course, that would be so sick. I always pictured myself on a farm with like, a shit ton of land and just being in nature. But we'd need a place in the city too, somewhere like New York. Balance is key."

"Oooh yeah, I could wake up early and go for a jog in Central Park and bring you back the best bagels in the city for breakfast."

"Why did I just picture waking up to breakfast in bed and then you standing there completely naked in nothing but an apron," Zayn responded, grinning.

"I don't know but consider it done. I'll do everything naked, no questions asked."

Zayn laughed and pulled me in closer, draping his arm around my waist instead as we walked and I leaned my head on his shoulder for a moment.

"I just want it to be me and you. I don't even care where we'd live or what we'd do. As long as it's with you," he said, halting his steps and looking at me, his hands on my waist as he drew me closer to him. I stared into his eyes and could feel myself growing warmer again.

"Would you truly be happy with just me?" I asked.

"I think I would, my little honey bee," he answered. "I'd take care of you for the rest of your life if you'd let me."

"I'll consider it," I replied playfully, sticking out my tongue.

Zayn chuckled and leaned in closer, closing the gap between our lips with a kiss and my hands met the sides of his face, caressing his beard and we just fell completely into the moment as the ocean tide washed over our feet. Zayn reached his hands up and placed them over mine, interlocking our ringed fingers together as we continued moving our lips as one in that same, natural rhythm.

"Let's go back," I spoke, breaking away from the kiss and we started heading down the length of the beach towards the beach house, arm in arm, under the light of the moon.

When we returned we jumped into this huge marble stone shower and the water cascaded down on us like a waterfalls, our wet skin rubbing up against each other, our hands exploring each other's bodies, washing away our sins, as if this time together was right and there was nothing and no one else in the world that mattered but me and Zayn.

"Baby," Zayn said as he started drying himself off with the towel and I stood there naked, just looking in the mirror.

"Yeah?"

"Do you want me to make us a fire?"

I turned and looked at him, grinning from ear to ear because he just knew exactly what to say.

"I would love that."

We collapsed in front of the fireplace that night, his body on top of mine as we kissed deeply, but still slow and methodical and I bucked up to mirror the way Zayn was grinding his hard cock on mine, moaning and pressing my fingertips into his back as he did.

Zayn paused for a moment and I watched as he looked down at me suddenly, staring into my eyes again and I could see the reflection of the flames in his pupils with the firelight reflecting on his bronze skin.

"Wow," he said softly, his face reading as though he was in complete awe.

"What?"

"I just can't get over how breathtaking you look right now."

I definitely felt myself blushing even though he had probably complimented me a thousand times before because I still never could seem to get over that natural reaction to Zayn no matter how much time we spent together.

"Your eyes. I could look into them forever," he added and I felt weaker beneath him.

"I love you Zayn," I replied, our gaze upon each other unwavering.

"I love you too Harry."

April 2018

As I sat there in my dressing room that night before my show in London I remembered that moment so vividly. I could recall every single good memory from that year just like that one and they floated right into my brain in waves upon waves. I smiled, thinking about that summer and how whenever we were together the rest of the world slipped away. In many ways it remained just like that, us hiding away in our corner of the universe, pretending we would never grow old and planning our dream future together. I had my headphones on, just lounging back away from the back stage noise, putting my mind at ease while these beautiful words drifted into my soul from Zayn's new debut single, "Let Me" that had just come out that day.

Sweet baby, our sex has meaning. Know this time you'll stay till the morning. Duvet days and vanilla ice cream. More than just one night together exclusively.

Baby, let me be your man so I can love you and if you let me be your man then I'll take care of you for the rest of my life, for the rest of yours. For the rest of my life, for the rest of yours. For the rest of ours.

We're drinking the finest label. Dirty dancing on top of the table. Long walks on the beach in April. Yeah, I promise, darling, that I'll be faithful.

Baby, let me be your man so I can love you. And if you let me be your man then I'll take care of you for the rest of my life, for the rest of yours. For the rest of my life, for the rest of yours. For the rest of ours...