special chapter: future

"Mama! Papa! Look at the drawing I made." The five year old girl grinned, toddling over to the couple sharing a cup of coffee and tea. She held up the paper proudly to her parents and showed them her colorful drawing.

"This is really pretty, sweet pea. You really take after your mother." Jaemin complimented, ruffling her hair.

"I don't know Nana. I think with a little more practice Minha will be better than me." Haneul added. She got up and headed to the fridge. "This deserves to be where everyone can see your talent."

"When I grow up, I'll become the best artist and spoil you and papa when I earn enough money. You guys have to stay very healthy until then!" Minha declared proudly.

"Of course we will." Jaemin assured, lifting her high into the air and twirling her around. "You're always the best to us. Remember that."

While Jaemin and Minha were playing around, Haneul went to place the older drawing in a rather bulky photo album. The doorbell rang loudly, Minha imitating the sound innocently as she giggled in her father's arms. They left to answer the door.

Haneul found herself reminiscing the one eventful year that she couldn't believe happened a decade ago. Dream's little doodles and drawings along with pictures they developed during that time were stored in the album.

"You still have those?" Renjun gawked, taking the album from her hands.

She turned and smiled when she saw some of the Dream boys. "I need to have some kind of remembrance from when you guys were my adorable demons."

"Hannie!" Mark called, pushing past Renjun to hug her. He had been away for half a year and was glad to see her and his niece. He pulled back and handed her a paper bag. "I bought some souvenirs for you guys. Ten also put a couple of things for you guys too."

"Mama look! Uncle Chenle gave me new colored pencils!" Minha beamed, holding up a set of Prismacolor pencils.

"Zhong Chenle, aren't these expensive?" Haneul questioned, feeling guilty as she knew the price of the pencils.

"I mean, an artist in training needs the best materials, right?" Chenle shrugged, grabbing a juice box from the fridge. "Plus, she said she'll give me the first drawing she makes with it."

Everyone settled in the living room while Jaemin prepared a snack for everyone. Jeno, Haneul, and Jisung were caught up in small talk while the rest were either playing with Minha or on their phones.

It was normal for them to visit from time to time, sometimes alone or in groups, but it was rare for everyone to be complete.

"Out of all of us Uncles here, who seems more like a brother?" Donghyuck asked Minha who was coloring with Renjun. The girl thought very hard as her eyes darted from each member.

"Jisungie who always comes to play with me!" Minha answered, pointing at a happy looking Jisung.

"Sorry guys, kids don't lie." Jisung taunted, sitting smugly on the couch. "Man you guys are old."

"I'm your godfather though." Jeno grumbled bitterly.

"I know. Which is why I love you more for always helping at mama's daycare!" Minha grinned.

"Who would have thought Jaemin would be the first to get a kid. A daughter to add to that." Renjun mused.

"Minha wakes you up with kisses while my nephew wakes me up with body slams." Chenle nodded. "I always expected Mark to be the first since he's the elder."

"You wanna fight?"

"I want a daughter too." Donghyuck mumbled. He pinched Minha's chubby cheeks. "You're so adorable!"

"Of course I am! It's my job to be adorable." Minha boasted.

"It was like yesterday Minha still didn't have teeth." Renjun sighed. 

"Enough playing. Make way for the snacks." Jaemin announced, carefully avoiding the coloring materials scattered everywhere.

"Man, I missed when Jaemin was our slave." Renjun blurted. 

"Excuse me?"

"You are excused." Renjun taunted.

"Come here. I think I really should have hit you with the slipper ten years ago when I-"

"No fighting!" Minha scolded.

🧸🧸🧸🧸🧸🧸🧸

Minha was tucked in her bed, the only light in the room coming from the fairy lights on the wall. Jaemin planted a gentle kiss on her forehead before quietly leaving the room.

"Is she asleep already?" Haneul asked, finishing up the last couple of dishes. The boys had left a while ago and Haneul left Minha with Jaemin to clean up.

"Yeah. She looks like she had so much fun since all her favorite uncles were here." Jaemin answered. 

"She got the energy from you." She chuckled. She barely got to dry her hands when Jaemin pulled her down to his lap.

"She got the pretty from you." He asserted. He brought his hands up to her shoulders and rubbed relaxing circles into them. "And I'm pretty sure she'll grow up to be a fine woman like you."

Haneul shook her head at the sudden comments."Is this a contest now?" 

"I could go on and keep complimenting you both if it means I win." He flirted.

"It's been ten years yet you're still as smooth as you were as a teen." She mused.

"I want to make sure you keep falling for my charms." Jaemin grinned, wiggling his eyebrows at her. 

"I'm wondering if Minha got the confidence from you." 

Quiet moments like this have become her favorite. Just enjoying each other without having the pressure of carrying a conversation was just enough to recharge her.

"We should go to bed. I still have to open the daycare early and you have a filming schedule with Minha for TROS." Haneul yawned, getting up and stretching her tired muscles. 

"I have a very important question."

"Ask away."

"Shouldn't we give Minha a little sibling?" He suggested. 

Haneul laughed dryly as she walked away. "You're sleeping on the couch tonight."

"What why?" Jaemin whined, following her into the bedroom.

"Come here then." 

It was a simple life with them, but she wouldn't have it any other way.