Part 2

I curled up on the sofa in front of the fire for what seemed like hours before the loud commotion of the first years being shown around the common room pulled me away from my thoughts. I reluctantly stood up and dragged myself to my dorm room which Lola and I had being sharing since first year. I started unpacking my trunk when Lola came in and shoved my timetable in my face.

"Here. You owe me big time, Snape nearly caught me taking yours too." She said to me as she pulled on her robes, the green embellishments a bright contrast to her dark skin, which only made her even more unbelievably stunning. It was no wonder she had her pick of every boy in the school, she reminded me of an ancient goddess.

"Thank you," I murmured pulling her into a tight hug. "Love you!"

"Love you too. Now get dressed before you start getting all soppy on me and we're late for potions." I just rolled my eyes before pulling my own robes on and headed to my first class.

Potions has always been one of my least favourite subjects. It bored me, it was just following a list of instructions and ingredients. However, that didn't stop me from excelling at the class, which was enough to impress Snape, no matter how much I told him how pointless I thought it was. This year though, we had a new teacher: Horace Slughorn. I kept my head down as I got stuck into our task to create a Draught of Living Death with a prize of a vial of Felix Felicis potion, enough liquid luck to last 12 hours, for the person who could make it best.

I'd made this potion enough before, so I knew what I was doing without having to look in my textbook which earned an eye roll from Draco when he noticed. I just smirked at him as he added too much valerian root causing it to blow up, splashing a dark liquid in his face.

"What are you laughing at, Dagon?" He hissed.

"Speak to me like that again Malfoy and I'll pour your shit potion down your throat," I spat back.

"I'm so scared!" He muttered sarcastically before walking off to clean his face. I bit my tongue and carried on making my potion, determined not to get into as many fights this year. I was just adding my final ingredient when Harry Potter was awarded the prize for the best potion, my jaw clenched with frustration. Potter was terrible at potions, this was ridiculous. After Slughorn had gone around and checked everyone's work, he awarded me second place. Second was the first to lose, and even worse when it was to Potter of all people. Even Hermione looked pissed off that she hadn't been able to perfect her own potion.

"Ha, second place," Draco said, following me out the classroom "not so cocky now are you, Dagon?" His little minions sniggering along behind him.

"Will you fuck off, Malfoy!" I hissed, giving him a vulgar gesture over my shoulder as I stalked away to my next class. My bad mood was getting worse and worse as the day went on, at least it was quidditch try outs after lunch, and I was team captain this year.

~

I stood in front of my mirror, braiding my long hair back out of my face ready to head out to the field. I looked myself over, the dark green of my Slytherin sweatshirt matched the colour of my eyes making them even brighter. I pulled my trainers on and headed out onto the field only to bump straight into Draco Malfoy.

"Alright Dagon, you know how this goes. You're the team captain now so make me seeker again and my father will buy everyone on the team a new broom. Besides you already know how good I am, not like you're going to find anyone better than me." He whispered in my ear, gripping my elbow. I shoved him off and pushed him into the wall.

"If you want a place on my team Malfoy, you will earn it fair and square." I shoved a pointed finger into his chest. "You will try out like everyone else and then if I think you're good enough you can join us. But if you think for even one second that you can buy me out so easily with daddy's money, I will make sure you never set foot onto another quidditch field again, do you understand?" He just pushed my hand off him as I glared at him.

"I'll see you on the field then," he said, smirking at me as he walked off to join the others. My fist clenched at my sides, that was one of our most pleasant interactions, I knew they wouldn't all be that nice if I had to put up with him on my team for the next year.

As much as I hated to admit it, Draco was an excellent seeker. I watched him playing out on the field with the rest of the students, he was by far the fastest player out there. The two giant seventh years who had both been Slytherins beaters for the last 6 years had absolutely no competition for their spots on the team either, they were vicious and terrifying and I smiled as I watched them practice their drills, sending the bludgers flying across the pitch.

"You know, you're not doing much to impress me just stood there doing nothing," I said to Draco as he landed next to me, sweat glistening on his skin despite the cold air.

"Olivia, you've played on the same team as me for the last 5 years and I've seen you watching me for most of this practice, why don't you just save us all some time and announce me as seeker now so we can all go about the rest of our day," he said earning himself a glare and an eye roll from me, I was seconds away from slapping that cocky grin right off his face.

"You'll be on the bench all season if you keep up that attitude," I responded through gritted teeth. God this boy was getting on my last nerves today.

"I presume you'll be a chaser again, and those two buffoons will be beaters if only because they're too terrifying to kick off the team and you'd be stupid not to keep them," he said, with a small laugh "who are you thinking for keeper? Is Lola not coming back this year to be chaser with you?" I looked across at him, rubbing my temples at the headache that was now forming there.

"Lola's parents decided that she needs to focus more on her schoolwork after her shocking grades last year and won't let her try out again. I offered to tutor her, but she wouldn't have any of it, I don't think she even wanted to come back with me as team captain. She says I'm too bossy."

"Wonder where she got that idea from," he muttered under his breath.

"Well, if it means us winning then I'm fine with being bossy. Better than being some pathetic loser who gets nothing done." He just laughed at me.

"You sound like such a Slytherin," he chuckled. I sighed, shivering in the cold, wishing I'd worn my joggers instead of my shorts. "You'd probably be warmer if you actually joined us up there instead of just stood watching us, you'd probably get a better view too," he stated with a smirk as he tugged on my braid before flying off to join the rest of the team. I just stuck my fingers up at him before hopping on my own broom to join them all.

I pinned up the team list in the common room. I'd decided on a fourth-year girl as the keeper, two fifth year boys to be our other chasers and some other students to be on the reserve team. With one month until our first game against Ravenclaw, I was going to have to train them hard if we wanted any hope at winning.