Part 23

"Hey, Liv," Draco said, leaning over me to press a kiss to my lips. I was stretched out on the sofa in the common room reading a book. He walked around and lifted my feet up and sat next to me, placing my legs back down across his knee. I frowned at him over the top of my book.

"Aren't you supposed to be on a train heading back to London right now? I distinctively remember you crying as you said goodbye to me last night." I giggled as he squeezed one of my legs.

"I wasn't crying, you cheeky bitch," he seethed, smirking at me. I just raised my eyebrows at him knowingly. He definitely was. "I actually decided to stay here so we could spend Christmas together but if you're going to be so rude, I'll leave you here on your own." He got up to leave but I pulled him back down.

"Wait, really?"

"Yeah, I sent an owl to my parents this morning saying that it was better for me to stay here."

"YAY!" I squealed, jumping onto him as I hugged him tightly and kissed his cheek. This was going to be the best Christmas ever. "Come with to get some food? I'm hungry" I pouted.

"Come on then," he said, squeezing my ass before shoving me off him.

We walked hand in hand down the corridor to the great hall, it was practically empty. All of us students had been advised to go home for Christmas and not come back in the new year unless we were prepared to fight, should it come to that. First and Second years weren't allowed back at all but they'd given the rest of us the choice as to whether we wanted to stay. Seamus had gone back to Lola's to spend the Christmas break with her and her family. They both planned on returning along with the rest of what was left of Dumbledore's Army.

We sat down at one of the huge tables and dug into our food. Draco was rambling on some quidditch match that we'd watched the other day, normally I would be getting into a heated debate with him about which player we thought was best but today I just sat and listened to him. It was so nice to see him getting excited about small things again, he'd finally put on all the weight he'd lost last year, and his spark seemed to have returned. He stopped talking when he noticed me staring at him.

"What?" He said, I leant over the table and kissed him.

"Nothing, I just love you." I replied, shrugging.

"I love you, too." He smiled and started eating again.

My face dropped when I saw Rory walking over to where we were both sat, she'd promised me she was going home for Christmas and that her parents had agreed to home school her until next year to keep her out of danger.

"Hey guys!" She said, plopping herself down at our table next to Draco. He frowned, looking down at her.

"What do you think you're doing here?" I was pissed.

"Eating dinner, what are you doing here?" She smiled innocently. I gritted my teeth and sighed heavily.

"You promised me you were going home!" I hissed, "You are not staying here and fighting, it's too dangerous!"

"I can and I will. It's my choice Olive. I'm good, you even said so yourself. I can help." I widened my eyes at Draco, warning him to say something before I screamed at her although he looked equally as pissed as I did.

"Rory," he started, clearing his throat. "I think what Liv means, is that you told us that your parents were expecting you at home with them for the rest of the year. We all just want to make sure you're safe." His words relaxed me slightly, but I still felt nauseous at the thought of her being here.

"My parents sent me an owl this morning saying that they'd gone into hiding and couldn't bring me with them. They said I would be safer here." She admitted, looking up at me with those big, bright eyes of hers. "I think they thought I'd slow them down or something," she added quietly. I didn't know what to say, I just sat there with my mouth hanging open slightly. I knew how shit it was to have parents that didn't care at all about you, but to be 13 years old and have to deal with that kind of resentment from your parents was awful and broke my heart.

"Don't worry about it kiddo, you can hang with us this Christmas," he grinned, ruffling her hair and she swatted his hand away, smiling at him. "We'll look after you won't we Olive?" I nodded at her, giving her a big grin. I saw Draco glance at me sideways, a funny look flashing across his face. I just shook my head at him.

"'Course we will" I pushed away that knot that was growing in my stomach again.

~

It was Christmas Day. I was sat in the Slytherin common room, sipping my hot chocolate while I watched Rory beat Draco at a game of cards. The last few days, however perfect they had been, had done little to ease my anxiety. If anything, it just made it worse as I realised how much I could lose if anything happened.

"It's snowing!" Rory squealed loudly. I grinned at Draco as he followed her gaze, looking out the window. She pulled on her coat and ran outside with the other younger students to join in the snowball fight they were having.

Draco climbed onto the sofa next to me and wrapped his arms around me.

"Do you want your present now?" he mumbled in my ear.

"Yes!!" I exclaimed, "you can have yours too!"

He grinned at me as he passed me two very carefully wrapped presents, one was a small box shape and the other was bigger and heavier.

"You first," I insisted, passing him his present. I chewed my lip nervously as I watched him open it carefully, I was so bad at giving gifts and was worried he might think it wasn't good enough. I'd gotten him a box full of all his favourite things. He pulled out a copy of his favourite book, now he didn't have to keep stealing mine whenever he wanted to read it. He smiled at that. Next, there was a bunch of his favourite chocolates, a small bottle of his cologne and then a framed photo of the two of us.

"Thank you, Liv," he murmured into the side of my head as he hugged me tightly. "I love it all" he kissed me on my lips. "Your turn now."

I grinned, opening the larger of the two first. It was a first edition hardback copy of my favourite book. My jaw dropped, my fingers running over the beautiful cover. "Where did you find this" I whispered. He just shrugged, smiling at me. I moved onto the smaller present, opening to find a small dainty silver ring that was shaped like a snake. It had two small emeralds for its eyes. I put it on my finger, it matched the rest of my jewellery perfectly.

"Thank you so much, they're both perfect." I kissed him. "I love you" I said kissing him again.

"I love you too," he said, kissing me back. The rest of the day went on as it started, stealing kisses from Draco every chance I got, playing board games with him and Rory, sitting down for Christmas dinner with all of my friends. As perfect as the day had been, I couldn't ignore the nagging thoughts in the back of my mind about what was going to happen when everyone came back. I was terrified that I might never get to experience a Christmas like this again.