Part 16

~Draco's POV~

My hands were still shaking as Snape hauled me away off the school grounds so I could apparate myself away from this horrible mess, because I was now a wanted criminal. Right now, I couldn't care less. All I cared about was making sure Olivia was safe. I kept picturing the fear in her eyes when Corban Yaxley had her restrained against him, it made me sick to my stomach. And yet, despite how scared she was, she still had the balls to fight back against him. Maybe it was a good thing that she was probably never going to speak to me again, I wish I could be at least half as brave as she is.

I apparated with my aunt and the rest of my family back to my home, the Malfoy Manor, where Voldemort himself was waiting with my Mother and the rest of the Death Eaters. A chill ran down my spine as the dark lord stared me down, those dark eyes peering into my soul. He was going to kill me, I knew it.

"Draco..." he hissed, and my legs trembled, it took all my strength to keep myself standing. "You had one job. Kill Dumbledore or I'll kill you. And you failed." I shook my head, not trusting my voice. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, preparing for the killing blow that I knew was about to hit me. "But you did play a helpful role in his death, using the vanishing cabinet to give us all a way into Hogwarts. Very clever, indeed. For that, I will not kill you and I have liberated your Father from Azkaban." My father stepped out from behind him and I sighed in relief at the sight, however rugged and worn out he looked. He was safe and he was free.

That night, I was pacing up and down my room, a giant knot in my stomach getting tighter and tighter as I realised, I had lost Olivia forever. I needed to see her. I needed to know that she was okay and to see if she would forgive me. I apparated outside of her dorm and took a deep breath. I clenched and unclenched my fists to try and stop them from shaking before knocking on the door. I knocked three times with no answer and was about to use magic to let myself into her bedroom when I heard a voice come up behind me.

"WHAT. THE. FUCK. Do you think you're doing here!" Lola screamed in my face.

I slipped myself into a cool mask of boredom, shutting off my emotions as I smirked at her, leaning against the door. It was the only thing I could to stop myself from having a breakdown in front of her. "Obviously here to see you Lola, you know seeing as we're BFF's and all. How have you been? Still spending all your time bumming Gryffindors?" I let out an empty laugh as I watched her face burn red and her nostrils flare.

"Get out of my way," she shouted, "I don't have time to deal with you, I'm busy cleaning up the mess you've made. I don't know what you did but she's spent the whole night crying so hard she made herself sick and now she won't even speak to me." My face dropped and my stomach tightened with regret.

"Let me see her." 

"Get fucked Malfoy, you've done enough already." She stormed into her bedroom and I quickly followed her before she had chance to slam the door in my face. I blinked when I saw Olivia curled up in ball on her bed, weeping softly. I tried my hardest not to be angry with her but the was her fault for leaving my room when I specifically told her not to. "You've got 5 minutes; I'm going for a walk to calm myself down, so I don't murder you," Lola hissed, shoving the pile of blankets she'd brought in my arms before slamming the door shut behind her.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I walked quietly towards her limp body. "Olivia..." I murmured. She blinked up at me through her tears.

"Do it quickly," her voice croaked out, "please, Draco. You owe me that much"

I frowned, not knowing what she was talking about until I remembered the last words I'd said to her in the astronomy tower. Oh, gods she actually thought I would kill her. And she was just lying there, accepting it without any fight. What had I done?

"Olive I'm not going to kill you; I could never ever hurt you. I-" I took another deep breath trying to switch off my emotions again as the tears threatened to spill out of my eyes. "I didn't mean anything I said in the astronomy tower, I was just trying to protect you from my family. It was the only way I could think to keep you safe and not lose you."

~ Olivia's POV~

I sat up slowly, not daring to take my eyes off the boy who sat in front of me.

"What did you just say?" I asked quietly.

"I was obviously lying to protect you; you have to understand I never meant for you to be involved or get hurt. I love you, Liv." He reached his hand out to mine, but I pulled away.

"You're telling me, that I have spent the last 5 hours crying because I thought you wanted to kill me and that the last few months had meant nothing to you when in actual fact you were just lying because you're a coward?" I sneered at him, but my voice remained steady. "Get away from me, Draco."

"Are you kidding me right now Olivia?" he said standing up as I dragged him off my bed. "I was protecting you; they would have killed you there and then themselves if I hadn't!"

"I was fucking begging you to help me Draco and you just stood there calling me pathetic. When actually, you're the pathetic one, you couldn't even do your one task of killing Dumbledore! Ooo I bet the Dark Lord is so impressed with you! You are weak." I let out an emotionless laugh as his eyes narrowed at me.

"None of this would have happened if you'd just fucking stayed in my room like I told you! Do you ever stop and think for one minute that not everything is about you? This was about me and you fucking ruined it." He was shouting at me now and I took a shaky breath.

"Get out of my sight Draco. I should have listened to everyone else when they said that mark was really who you are. I was a fool for hoping they were wrong."

"You said nothing could change the way you felt about me," he whispered quietly, looking at the floor. I couldn't do this again; my heart had been broken too much this time.

"I guess I lied then." I watched him walk off to the door before turning back to look at me, tears streaming down his face.

"Please Olivia, I need you."

"Could you really have gone through with it? Would you have actually killed Dumbledore if Snape hadn't?" I asked.

"No."

"Even though you knew He would kill you?"

"Knowing it would mean losing you forever, I would rather be dead." He disappeared out of my room without another word.

I sat down on my bed feeling defeated and empty. I was done crying. I was done being a sad pathetic mess. Tomorrow I was going to pick up all the pieces of my heart that Draco had left behind and move on with my life, throwing myself into my classes until I was the best witch I could be. I wanted to make sure I never felt as weak as I had trapped against that man again. I was better than this, I deserved better. If Draco wasn't going to choose me, then I would choose myself.