Part 35

~

~ Draco's POV ~

Olivia and I pushed our way through the crowd that had gathered in the courtyard. I willed myself not to breakdown as I took in the destruction that surrounded us all. My stomach dropped at the sight of the unmistakable dark haired body that hung lifelessly in Hagrid's arms, getting rid of any shred of hope that anyone had left.

"Harry Potter is dead!" Voldemort announced, earning himself a round of laughter from his mindless followers. My parents stood front and centre of the mass of people. Instinctively, I took a step closer to Olivia at the sight of them. "And now is the time to declare yourself." Voldemort continued, "come forward and join us or die." The words clung to the air, a promised threat as no one dared to move. 

"Draco," my father hissed, beckoning me forwards towards them. Olivia stiffened besides me. 

"Draco," my mother whispered softly. I couldn't do it, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't go back to them. I swallowed hard, willing myself not to cry as I stared back at them. 

"Draco!" My fathers harsh voice caused everyone to turn at look at me, waiting to see what I would do.

"Come," my mother added expectantly. I looked down at Olivia, who was already looking back up at me, her green eyes sparkling brightly. She smiled softly at me, nodding slightly and squeezed my hand reassuringly before turning to look at my parents, a hateful smirk plastered across her face. My heart swelled with pride and love as I squeezed her hand back, I had my new family right next to me and she was more than I could have ever hoped for. I looked back across to my parents and stared cooly, showing them that I had made my choice. And I was never going back. 

Neville took a slow, heavy limp forwards. And then another. And another. Olivia started to move next to me but I held her back as he stood up tall and proud.

"Well, I must say I'd hoped for better." The dark lord said, earning himself another round of laughter from his death eaters.

"It doesn't matter that Harry's gone," he started.

"Stand down, Neville." Seamus interrupted.

"People die every day," he continued, ignoring his best friends protests. "Yeah, we lost Harry tonight, and many others, but they are still with us, in here" he gestured to his heart. A stray tear rolled down Olivia's cheek, the lump in my throat returning as I thought back to Rory.  "They didn't die in vain, it's not over!"

Harry rolled out of Hagrid's arm's, collapsing on the floor at the same time that Neville pulled the Sword of Gryffindor from the sorting hat he was carrying. Fuck.

"Potter!" I shouted as I ran forwards and tossed him my mothers wand. 

"Confringo!" Potter shouted, catching the wand with ease, aiming at The Dark Lord. 

Screams echoed through the courtyard as students began running back into the castle for safety. Even some of the death eaters began disappearing as Voldemort went berserk, firing spells right back at Harry, who was now running for his life, hiding where he could behind what was left of the castle. I looked for Olivia and spotted her heading towards me. I grabbed her arm, pulling her along with me as we followed the mass of people running inside.

 A spell hit the wall beside us, blasting it apart and I dived on top of Olivia, hiding us both behind a large piece of rubble. My ears were ringing from the blast and my head was pounding, I couldn't hear anything. Next to me, Liv's full body had started shaking as she pressed her hands to her ears.