Part 34

I sat there for what felt like hours. I don't remember when exactly, but Lola and Seamus had left me to mourn alone. I couldn't breathe, or talk or even do anything other than think about how much pain I was in. Nothing even felt real.

"Come on Liv, we need to get you cleaned up. You've got dried blood all over your face and mouth." Neville said softly, making me jump as he came up behind me.

"I can't leave her here." I whispered, refusing to take my eyes off Rory. I was still gripping onto her hand, stroking the back of it with my thumb.

"I know, but we have too. It's too dangerous to stay here."

"It hurts so bad Neville. She's gone and it's all my fault." I turned my head slightly to look at him. His own eyes were red and bloodshot, his skin red and blotchy, still covered in blood and dirt.

"I know but it is not your fault. Not one bit, you were the greatest thing that ever happened to that girl and you saved her in more ways than you could ever realise. Come on, we'll give her a proper send-off eventually, I promise. We just have to get through the rest of this first." He explained, offering out his hand to help me up, which I ignored by turning my back on him again.

I transformed into my wolf form, grateful for the numbness it brought with it, and curled up into her side. My chin rested on her chest and I closed my eyes, breathing in her scent, praying that I would feel her chest rise and fall once more. I didn't open my eyes when I heard Neville's footsteps walking away from me, I couldn't bare to watch him leave too.

~

"Olivia?" a voice spoke out. I jumped up and growled at the tall figure, instinct telling me to protect. "It's me, Draco." he tells me, his hands up to show his innocence.

I let out a huff of hot hair and curled back up at Rory's side. I was so grateful that I was in my wolf form, it meant I didn't have to look Draco in the eye and explain to him that it was my fault she was dead. That she had died to protect me.

He knelt down next to me, taking Rory's hand in his own. It took all my strength not to growl at him again.

"Rory..." he started softly as the tears began pouring from his face. "I am so sorry. I am sorry that I wasn't here to protect you like I said I would be. But mostly, I am sorry that I didn't tell you how much you meant to me while I had the chance."

I looked at him as he took a shaky breath, the emotions gnawing their way back into my heart despite my wolf form. I'd forgotten what a soft spot he had for Rory and how close they had grown in the last month, it broke my heart even more too see him in this much pain.

"I will never forget the kindness you showed me, despite how wary you were of me. Not once were you scared of me though, not once did you look at me like I was some hideous monster. You are smart, courageous and brave. You are so brave Rory, braver than I could ever be, I hope you take that with you into your next life. You were too good for this world, taken from us far too soon, but we'll see you again, however you end up coming back." He lifted a hand to his mouth and pressed a kiss to his fingers before gently resting those fingers on her forehead.

He sat like that for a few minutes, his eyes closed as he took in his final moments with her. He picked up a small bunch of lilies off the floor beside him that I hadn't noticed earlier and placed them in her hands, resting them on her chest. He took a deep breath and turned to look at me.

"Olivia, talk to me." He said softly. I just blinked at him, as selfish as it was for me to stay like this, I didn't want to feel the pain again. I didn't want to tell him that I'd just killed someone. Someone who he'd known his whole life. "Please, I need you." He begged.

I stood up and moved the short distance towards him, my paws meeting his knees. I sat down, keeping my head low. He ran a hand through the fur on my cheek before pressing his forehead against mine.

"Shift." His voice was still quiet, but it no longer held the softness it had before. "Shift back so you're human, now." His tone was stern but by no means was it harsh or hateful, I couldn't help but obey him. I took a deep breath and changed back, a wave of pain and sadness crashing into me like a brick wall.

"Tell me what happened." He insisted.

I looked up at him and swallowed hard before telling him my story of what had happened since I'd last seen him, leaving out as much details as I could. He just sat there and listened, taking in every word I spoke. Once I'd finished explaining, I felt slightly better. It still hurt, but it felt as though there had been a heavy weight lifted off my chest.

"I killed him." I admitted, "I killed Yaxley, I ripped out his throat with my teeth." I hung my head down again, not wanting to see the disappointment in his eyes, that I'd killed someone. That I was a heartless monster. I wondered if he'd ever look at me the same again.

"He had it coming" he replied, a small smile tugging on his lips as the light humour danced through his words. "At least that explains the blood all over your mouth." I didn't smile back.

"Look at me" he ordered, his stern voice returning. When I still didn't bring my head up, his gentle hand gripped my face and tilted my head up, so I had no choice but to look in his eyes. "This is a war Olivia, we either kill or be killed. You cannot blame yourself for any of this, I won't let you. This changes nothing about who you are. It does not make you a monster, it makes you brave." I blinked back the tears as he continued, his soft eyes never leaving my face. "I love you. You are mine and I am yours. I choose you and I'll choose you every day for the rest of my life, if you'll let me."

"I don't have enough words to tell you how much I love you Draco. You're the part of me I'll always need. Please don't leave me ever again." I sobbed quietly into his chest as he held me tight against him.