Part 21

The cold December air sent a chill down to my bones as I walked through the courtyard, it was my new nightly routine to clear my head. Watching the stars at night was one of the few moments I felt at peace these days. The sound of glass smashing and the smell of burning caught my attention and I was about to walk in the opposite direction, not wanting to be caught by either of the Carrows and be punished for something I wasn't involved in, until I hear a high pitched yelp that I knew to be Rory's voice. I hurried over to where the sound came from and found her crouched next to a fire coming from a bunch of ingredients, she had quite clearly stolen from the potion's cupboard.

"What did you do?" I hissed, putting out the fire she had started. Her eyes were wild and full of panic as she stared back at me.

"I was trying to practice... I dropped it all and it was an accident! I don't know what to do!" She exclaimed.

"Keep your voice down, if either of the Carrows hear you and find you with stolen supplies you'll be in detention for weeks. Do you know what they will do to you?" I gritted my teeth as she started to sob at the thought. Our heads snapped up to the sound of heavy footsteps walking towards us. Shit. "Hide." I ordered her but she shook her head. I tried to shove Rory behind one of the walls, but Alecto Carrow walked into view before I had chance. I felt Rory tremble besides me, but I squeezed her arm in warning. "Don't say a word."

Alecto took one look at the mess and smiled wickedly at us both. I swallowed hard, there was no way either of us would be able to get away with this. "Out of your dorms past curfew? Starting fires? Using stolen school supplies? What do you have to say for yourselves?" She snarled, her voice sent a shiver down my spine, those black eyes darting between the pair of us deciding which of us she was going to torture first. I stepped forwards, away from Rory.

"I was practicing a new spell, one that would get me out of this hell hole. This school has gone to the shits since Snape took over and I figured anywhere's got to be better than here, right?" I took another step towards Alecto, keeping my head held high as I put as much distance between myself and Rory as I could. Before I had chance to dodge the blow, Alecto's hand slammed down on the side of my face. I didn't give her chance to hit me again as I cast Confringo, a blasting spell at her. In the seconds she took moving out of the way to avoid the spell I looked back at Rory and mouthed for her to run. I wasn't going to let her get tortured as well.

It was my turn to tremble as she grabbed the back of my head and dragged me down the corridor by hair. "I am going to ruin you" she growled in my ear. I wouldn't cry, I wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of seeing me suffer.

She threw me into the dungeons, and I heard a toneless guttural voice. As gravelly and penetrating as it was gruff. "What have you brought for me here?" I knew it was Amycus, her brother, without having to see him. Shit. This was going to be bad.

"The little bitch tried to kill me, strap her down. I want to show her what happens to smart ass witches who think they're better than following rules and disobey us." I didn't even try to resist as he chained my ankles and wrists and hung me up by my arms. My feet could still touch the floor but there wasn't enough loose chain for me to move any of my limbs. At least she was pissed enough to have forgotten about Rory. Alecto picked up two of the knives off the table, the same ones that I had thrown at Draco just over a month ago. My mouth went try and I tried to push away all my fear, ready to take whatever they did to me.

"This is for stealing supplies" she hissed, slapping me across the face with her spare hand. I glared at her, feeling the heat rise to my cheek. "This one, is for being out of your dorm past curfew," she said, dragging the knife down my arm from my shoulder to my elbow. Each cut she made was deeper than the last. I bit my lip to stop myself from screaming at the pain and willed myself not to cry. My head hung down as she cleaned my blood off her knife and walked over to me again, Amycus stood grinning as he watched her beside me. "And this one, is for trying to kill me." She lifted up my top and stabbed me in the right side of my stomach. I winced as she pulled the knife slowly out, the cold metal stinging.