Chapter 22: Sickness

Mia Jones POV:

I feel so very weak.

My limbs are heavy, and i struggle to even keep my eyes open. I just want to sleep, yet whenever i try to close my eyes, i get a piercing headache. I want to puke, yet there is nothing for me to puke up, so i just end up dry heaving which turns into a painful chesty cough.

Why do i feel like this? Surely lack of food and water over two days cant be it. But it doesn't matter, because this is how i feel, and i don't think its going to go away anytime soon. At least it doesn't feel that way.

"How are you feeling?" Scott asks, sympathy lining his voice. I don't know how Scott has managed to put up with me, dry heaving in the middle of the night and then crying until i'm finally encumbered by sleep. I don't know how anyone puts up with me, though its not like they have a choice...

"The same." I manage to croak out, then falling back into a fit of coughs which tear painfully at my throat. Everything hurts. Maybe when Matteo comes back down, i can ask for painkillers, maybe antibiotics?

I doubt he'll give it though, unless i apologise.

"Just hold on Mia. We'll get out of here soon."

I purse my lips. I hope that's true.

I haven't spoken to Scott much since i gave him the bread, mainly because I've been painfully dying, but he still manages to make me feel like i'm anywhere else.

"When we're out of here, i'll take you to a restaurant in a small country town i know, in England. You'll love it. We can sit outside under the stars and listen to the music coming from inside. Then we can go back to my place and we can drink hot chocolates and laugh about child hood memories."

I sigh, leaning back into my make-shift bed that was provided to me by one of Matteo's guards. I let myself fall into the dream that Scott talk about, and before i know it, sleep has finally overcome me.

***

"Mia." A voice pulls me from my sleep against my will. I scrunch my eyes, trying to make it go away, but it doesn't. "Mia." The voice says, firmer this time.

I allow myself to open my eyes, and stretch my limbs. The familiar feeling of pain spreads across my body and i groan, before shuffling into a more comfortable position.

I squint my eyes under the harsh lighting, and look towards the cell door, examining the dirt in ever square inch. Something seems strange...

Oh shit, the lights are on!

"I'm awake." I mumble, letting Scott know that i am ready for whatever Matteo has to throw at me today. I honestly don't mind if he doesn't give me any food or water today, because i don't think i'd be able to hold it down any way.

The familiar sound of footsteps echo down the hall, and i pull the blanket further up my body, feeling the soft material as it rubs across my numb skin. Their shadows appear quickly, followed by the men in suit, and of course the devil himself.

Today he looks extra fancy in his all black suit, with silver cuff links, and the strong smell of cologne following him, entering my nostrils. I stare up at his sculpted face and see a smile upon it, but as his dark eyes finally meet mine, it disappears quickly.

"Open this door now!" Matteo growls, and one of the men in suits follows without uttering a single word.

One the door is open, Matteo steps inside, and walks towards me, hesitantly. His eyes study me and stare into my face, or at least try to until i bury myself back under my blanket, just wanting to go back to sleep.

I don't have enough energy to speak, let alone fight this man.

"Mia, what is wrong? Are you alright?" He asks, as if he actually cares. His voice is soft and soothing, and it makes me feel like he could actually be an alright human being.

"Mia, let me see your face please." He coos, and i feel his hand reach for the edge of the blanket closest to my face. I don't fight him as he pulls it away from me, but i continue to avoid his gaze.

His cold finger grazes against my chin and he hisses. His touch is like ice, and it feel so good. I am so hot. "You are burning up." He says as he pulls my face to meet his.

For this, i put up resistance, but it doesn't do much at all, and he easily moves me as if i am his puppet. "Principessa." He whispers as he stares into my eyes.

He says something else, but the ringing in my ears has returned as well as that terrible headache. I close my eyes tight, trying to make it go away, but it doesn't. Tears slip down my cheeks, and i grip my head.

It like a thousand needles are slowly piercing my brain. "Make it stop. Please make it stop." I sob, not caring that i'm openly crying in front of my captor. It hurts too much to care.

I hear a mess of jumbled words coming from multiple people, but its all hazy and all i can concentrate on is the screaming pain emanating from my skull. My breathing is laboured, and my body temperature increases.

I open my eyes, to once again see the very concerned eyes of Matteo. I grasp his shoulder weakly in my grip. "Matteo, it hurts, make it stop. Please!"

I feel his arms reach under my body and cradle me as he lifts me bridal style from my little corner i had taken residence in.

The sudden change in temperature from the warm blankets to the cold air hits me like a truck, and i feel my throat begin to close. I struggle for air and the pain increases immensely. I'm going to die.

I'm going to die.

I'm so scared. I'm so scared.

I just want to go home. I want to see Mum and Dad.

I want to see their faces.

And instead of theirs, i'm staring up at Matteo's.

I make sure to look him directly in the eyes until the pain is too much to bear, and i can no longer stay conscious.
-------------------------------------------------------
Hey Peeps!
I hope you had a wonderful day and enjoyed today's chapter! Random question of the day, what is the time in your county right now?
Thank you for reading and please vote if you enjoyed!
-FoggyCloudyWords