Chapter 54: Time To Go Home

Mia Jones POV:

I stare into Matteo's dark, unforgiving eyes as he looks down at me.

His gaze is cold and sends shivers running throughout my body. My eyes flick down to his side where he holds a gun, and I flinch at the sight, taking a small step backwards.

As much as I don't want to be, I'm absolutely terrified. I promised myself that I wouldn't let him control me like this, that I would no longer let him have this power over me... But now that he's here, now that he stands in front of me for real, my lip can't help but quiver.

I take another step back subconsciously, every bone in my body screaming at me to get as far away as possible from this crazed lunatic, but he's quick to grab my arm, yanking me towards him.

He holds me close to his chest, his heat radiating off of him like some sort of heater. I struggle in his grip to get away, but he only holds me tighter. "You weren't in such a rush to get away when you kissed me." He purrs into my ear, his warm breath fanning the back of my neck.

"Get off of me." I spit as I continue attempting to wiggle from his grip, but it's futile.

Every inch of me is repulsed at Matteo's touch. I want to claw at my skin, I want to run back upstairs, back to Scott. I want to scream out for him. I want him to come save me.

But I can't do that. He can't do that.

All I need to do is make sure Matteo leaves so that Scott has a chance of getting away. Otherwise my sacrifice will be worthless.

Finally Matteo breaks me away from his chest so that he can look back down at my face. For a second he looked just like the man I had kissed, the one who had apologised to me multiple times, like the man who asked for my forgiveness and accepted when I told him I would never love him the way he wanted.

But then it's gone in an instant.

"Search upstairs for the Scott boy." He orders.

"No." I whisper.

What seems like a dozen men, brush past us and begin marching upstairs, gun as their side, ready to fire.

I try to turn my body away, to get out of Matteo's hold and run upstairs, but his grip is too tight. "No!" I yell. "Matteo, don't do this, he didn't do anything!"

I can't let him do this. I can't have given myself up for nothing. I thought Scott would be safe. I didn't think he even knew that Scott was with me. How does he know?

I suddenly gain a burst of adrenaline and stupidity, stepping on the end of Matteo's feet with all my weight. It doesn't do much, but it doesn't need to. Matteo's eyes glance down at his foot, distracted for only a milliseconds. And that's all I needed.

I reach towards Matteo's side and rip the gun from his grasp and push myself from his grip.

I stumble backwards, surprised that that actually worked. Matteo seems almost just as surprised, his eyes wide in shock.

Removing the safety I lift it up and point it directly at him. "Call off your men." I order, skilfully hiding the fear in my voice. "Otherwise I will not hesitate to shoot."

His lips pull taut. "No."

"No?" I question, slightly surprised at his answer. "It wasn't a request."

Putting his hands into his pant pockets, he takes a step towards me, causing me to retreat a step. "No." He repeats.

What the hell is he playing at? Does he think I'm bluffing? Am I bluffing? Oh god, I never really thought this through. I can't shoot a person!