Chapter 28: Under Surveillance

Matteo Giovanni POV:

I watch through the monitor as my princess struggles down the hall towards the cellar door. Her hands are pressed up against the walls to balance herself, and by the way her face scrunches, I can tell that she is in a lot of pain.

I shouldn't be surprised that as soon as I had left her alone in the dining room, that she would up and head to the boy she had become acquainted with.

There are cameras down in the cellar, but no microphones, so it took me a while to realise that Mia had been talking with him for the while that she had stayed down there. And clearly they had become good enough friends for her to be risking herself and heading back down.

I admire her courage, she certainly doesn't fear me as much as she used to, or maybe she doesn't care anymore, but either way it doesn't matter. She is going down to the cellar despite knowing that there will be consequences to follow.

Clenching my teeth in anticipation, I watch as she opens the cellar door and peers down into the darkness. It looks like she may even reconsider going down... Her whole body is shaking and she looks petrified.

I hold my breath as she decides her next move. I don't want to have to punish her if she does decide to go down, but she needs to learn...

Mia flicks the light switch on and begins her descent on shaky legs. I breathe out and lean back into my chair. I'm honestly disappointed, and hurt. I thought that maybe the smallest part of her realised that i don't have to be the bad guy that she so desperately wants to paint me as.

I can be good.

I want to be good. For her.

Damn it, she's making me soft!

I doubt that even when she comes back up the stairs I'll be able to punish her. She's already suffering as it is, she can barely walk without the support of something. If i were to put her through more pain, i would be a monster.

More of a monster than i already am.

Sure i sell drugs, weapons and kill people, but that's just part of running the New York mafia. It's how i must prove myself to my father so i am able to take over the Italian mafia when he is retired. The terrible things I do are just business, but hurting a defenceless girl who is already sick as it is? That would be an all time low for me.

And besides, sometimes I kill those who deserve it, like human traffickers and rapists.

It's decided then, Mia won't be punished for sneaking off. I'll let her speak with her friend. I'll let her think that she's being sneaky and getting away with it. It doesn't affect me in any way, so i'll just leave it be.

I stare intently at the screen in front of me as Mia makes her way down the hall, her gaze anywhere but inside the cells. She quickly finds her way to the end of the hall, and I watch as she examines the cell where she had been held.

She looks into it for at least two minutes, not wavering.

Once again guilt floods me.

I shake it away, as I hear her call out a name. "Scott." Her soft,angelic voice rings through the microphones I had fitted inside the cellar.

I knew she would want to go back down, that's why I had left the door unlocked and had microphones installed. This way I'll be able to gather any information that may be spoken between the two of them. And so far the microphones have proven themselves useful as now I know the name of the boy.

Scott.

I'll have Richard look into who he is. Maybe then I'll finally be able to find out who stole my cocaine.

"You wanted to see me?" My eyes flick up to Dante who saunters into my office with his hands casually in his pants. I turn off the monitor, I'll review the footage later.

"Why don't you have some in?" I say, rolling my eyes. If it were anyone else who just strolled into my office like this, I would've shot them on the spot, but Dante is my best friend, so I don't think he would appreciate it if I shot him, despite how much I want to.

Dante's lips curl into a smirk. "I'm not the only one who's got a busy schedule."

"I'm sorry, did i interrupt your quick fuck?"

"As a matter of fact you did, and now she is all alone in my bedroom waiting for me to return, so of you could make this quick--"

"Tell her you have things to attend to. I need you to watch over Mia." I say, looking down at my watch. It's almost twelve o'clock in the afternoon, and I need to get into the office so I can finalise all plans regarding Japan and the weapon trading that is to occur.

Dante's face betrays no emotion, but I can tell he's pissed as he begins to crack his knuckles. But he knows better than to talk back to me.

"Sure thing."

"Make sure she has lunch and dinner. I don't think i need to remind you that she does not leave the house."

Dante nods. "Lunch, dinner, no leaving house. Got it."

I stand from my chair and grab my briefcase. "I'm leaving now, so go find her. She's down in the cellar at the moment but make sure you don't catch her down there. Make her think she's gotten away with it."

"Where will she be sleeping?" Dante asks. I turn to look at him and plastered across his face is a mischievous look. That bastard think s he's hilarious.

"My room." I grit, and Dante cracks a smile.

"What am i supposed to do with her?"

"I don't know, find Hailey? Just watch over her and make sure she doesn't do anything stupid." I say as I walk from my office leaving Dante behind.

I make my way to my car and inside my driver is waiting for me just as I had asked him to. On the way to the airport I take this time to think about all the shit I have to get done.

On Wednesday, in three days we are leaving for Japan, and I'm yet to tell Mia that she is coming with me. I don't know how she'll react, and i think it'll be best for her if i don't tell her until Wednesday, i don't need her to unnecessarily stress.

I'm already stressing as it is.

I just hope that everything will run smoothly in Japan.

------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys!
So i know i said that i would be updating every two days, but i suddenly have a lot of free time, so for the time being, i'll continue regular updates. Also, we just hit 20K, which is absolutely incredible!!! Thank you for reading, voting and commenting, it really means the world to me!
-FoggyCloudyWords