Chapter 35: A Warm Welcome

I place my hands in front of me, hoping to avoid the heavy impact to my head. As I wait for my palms to collide with the car floor, I realise that I'm no longer crashing towards the ground, and that a pair of strong arms have grabbed me.

I look up towards Dante who has an expression on his face that I've never seen before. It's dark and cold, even murderous. I mumble a quiet 'thank you' for wiggling from his arms, before he lets me go.

Instantly he reaches into his suit jacket and pulls out a handgun, holding at his side.

Well... Shit just got serious.

"Do not leave the car. Stay right here." He says sternly before moving to open the door of the limo. I heed his words and shuffle away from where he exits, not wanting to get shot if someone sees me move the slightest.

What the hell was that? That was definitely a gun shot I heard... Right?

I move slowly towards the window on the side where Dante had left through. Peering over, I notice that we are in a side street lined with all sorts of advertisements and flashy lights. I notice the car in front of us--The one that half of the security team has gone in. And behind the limo is the other car.

Scattered around the men with their guns raised, ready to fire at any moment as they survey the area, looking for the culprit who fired the first bullet.

I find my eyes wondering where I was just seated. On the leather of the seat, just above where my head was, is a small hole. So small i don't think i could've noticed it if i hadn't looked. A small tear in the material.

I look around at each of the limousine windows, scanning and hoping that I will not find what I'm looking for.

My whole body stiffens as I finally notice the shattered glass of the window just a few seats ahead of where I was sitting.

That's not possible. I didn't even hear any glass shattering, I certainly would have noticed if a bullet almost hit me... Right?

I'm shaking in fear. Whoever shot that bullet was definitely aiming for me, and they were so close. But who could possibly want me dead? Who even knows i'm here besides Matteo and his men?

Could this be one of Matteo's enemies? Were they trying to get to him by killing me?

just the thought makes me pale and sickly. I'm in danger, even when Matteo isn't around. His whole world is dangerous, the mafia is dangerous. And that's exactly why I never got involved. But look at me now!

"God, per favore non lasciarmi morire." (God, please don't let me die.) I pray. I'm not religious, but now I can see the appeal of hoping that someone above is looking down on you. Helping you.

Dante opens the door, jolting me from my thoughts. His gun is still firm in his hand, but now his expression has softened, and he no longer looks like a cold blooded killer. "Are you alright?" He asks. His eyes scan up and down my face, looking for any damage.

"I'm fine." I say hoarsely. Physically I'm okay, despite still suffering from the effects of the cellar I'm surprisingly alright. But mentally? I think I've checked out of that hotel.

"Good, take a seat. We are leaving." He says promptly as he moves, slamming the door behind him and sitting down.

I find myself ignoring everything coming from his mouth when he discovers where the bullet had gone through the window. I don't even bother listening to his conversation on the phone with Matteo. I'm too exhausted of everything.

***

I stare up at the hotel, reaching so far into the sky that I can't see it past the clouds. This is where we're staying?

I don't get a chance to gawk any longer as I'm ushered in by Dante, flanked by many of the security team who are on heavy alert.

As we enter the lobby which is as big as a ballroom in itself, fitted with gold wallpaper and chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, Dante garbs the key card from the reception and we head to the elevator.

Before the door closes, I take one last breath of fresh air, knowing that I wont get another one for a long while.

Now it's just Dante and I.

He presses a button to the hundredth floor, then swiping his key car. The lift begins to ascend fast, and I can already feel my ears beginning to pop.

"Did that person try to kill me?" I ask out of the blue, hoping that Dante will say no, that he'll reassure me. But i don't know what i expected from him. He doesn't answer, and I don't bother to look at him. I don't exactly see him as a friend, but I hoped maybe he'd at least have the decency to reply.

We reach the one-hundredth floor quickly and as I step out, I can't help but open my mouth in awe at what I'm looking at.

The entry way is large and spacious, overlooking the city through one huge glass window. The comfiest couches sit in front of a large flat screen TV just beside the view. It looks like some sort of crazy rich hotel you would see on pinterest.

"Like what you see?" A familiar voice asks, and I turn around to see Matteo lazily leaning against the wall near a massive kitchen.

I don't give him an answer, and instead just stare, hoping it makes him uncomfortable. But it doesn't seem to do anything, as his eyes don't leave me. "Have an interesting detour?" He asks.

I look away.

"C'mon, don't be so morose."

I almost laugh at his words. I was almost killed, and here he is, telling me to not be morose!

"Don't be morose? Someone just tried to kill me, because of you!" I scream at his face, finally losing my cool. I never knew it would be so hard to keep anger contained.

A devious smirk pulls across Matteo's lips.

"There's my girl."

------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys!
Thank you for commenting! I love reading all your hilarious comments!
-FoggyCloudyWords