Chapter 65: Shattered Soul

Matteo Giovanni POV:

Mia's eyes widen at my fathers words, and her face goes sullen and pale.

This wasn't how she was meant to find out. I was meant to sit her down, and I was going to explain everything to her, I was going to help her get through it. She was going to be alright.

I look to my father and glare at him.

He was full knowing that she was unaware of the situation, and yet he went against my wishes. When all of this is over, I will not hesitate in showing my father just how powerful I have become. He will regret the day he ever breathed near Mia, let alone broke the news of her fathers death while smiling.

I snap my attention back towards Mia, and hurry down the stairs.

I should have listened to her. I should've answered her questions as soon as she asked them.

I want to scream, and yell. I want to break something - someone.

But I can't, not when I know this is all my fault. I'm the only one that caused this problem, and now I'm going to have to live with the consequences.

"Mia." I say her name, as I stop in front of her.

Her face has been drained of all its lively colour. And her eyes are no longer that vibrant blue, but rather a hollow grey. It is as if within seconds, her whole life has gone, and left her a shell of what she once was.

I don't make any move to touch her - I don't know if that'll do any good anyway.

"Mia, I was going to tell you. I was waiting for the right time - I promise." My words are coated in remorse and regret, guilt and sadness. For her.

I've never been one to express much emotion - But as soon as Mia stepped into my life, I can't seem to not. She makes me feel happy and sad and all the emotions in between, and I want to be the one to make her feel too. I want to be the one to make her laugh, I want to be the one to dry her tears.

Her bottom lip quivers and her head shakes slightly. "You." She whispers.

I take in a deep breath, and desperately feel the need to pull her into my arms and whisper sweet nothing into her ears until she's all better - But somehow, I refrain. Though, it takes every ounce of strength within me.

"You broke your promise." Her voice breaks, and along with it, so does my heart.

The one thing she asked of me, I broke.

I did this to her. I broke her trust, and there is no one to blame but me.

What have I done?

Her eyes stare up at me, devoid of anything. She looks neither mad, or sad, and she doesn't shed even a single tear. Though, the whites of her eyes slowly turn a dull red, and glassy.

"Mia, I promise that I was going to tell you. It was never my intention for you to find out this way, I promise." I repeat, but I know it's falling upon deaf ears.

She's already checked out.

I take her small body in my arms and embrace her with a hug, hoping that I can somehow transfer my life into her. Hoping that I can breathe some emotion back into her placid body. She doesn't push me away, but nor does she hug back.

I feel no warmth being reciprocated, only cold.

I've done it. I've really broken her.

I finally let her go, only to look back down at her face, and seeing she still looks as lifeless as before.

"Who did it?" She breathes, not even looking in my direction. Her eyes seem to have wandered off into nothingness.

"Mia I-"