Chapter 74: The End

Three weeks later...

Today is my last day in Italy.

I stare out the window, looking down at the beautiful garden below me. It's decorated with flowers of all kinds, daisy's, lilies, sunflowers and roses. Their colour bleeds onto the greenery, contrasting the otherwise dull view.

"You like it?" Rain asks from behind me.

I don't turn to look at her, I can't look at her - Not when she still bears all the marks Harry inflicted on her body. I can't help but feel wholly responsible for her pain, and so when I look at her, I can barely meet her gaze.

"Yes, your garden is very beautiful." I say.

After the funeral, I had discovered that Alice was actually Rain - Hired by my father to befriend me and make sure I was safe. If my father were still alive, I think I would've been mad, maybe even furious... But now all I can feel is sadness. Dad was always looking after me, even if I didn't wish it. I hold nothing but respect and love for him, even in death.

"You really love your gardens..." I say, trying to distract from the silence, not that it's awkward. But nowadays I can't bear the quiet between words.

"Yes, I enjoy caring for plants, it's much easier than caring for a human." I can hear the smile in her voice. Even in New York she was very fond of gardening, no one would've thought unless she were to show them proof. I admire that in Rain, she's passionate. I think that's why we are so close. "How are you feeling, how is your arm?"

I purse my lips, and my hand automatically reaches up to graze against my injured shoulder. It no longer hurts, but I can still feel the pain of the memory behind it. The scar will forever be a reminder of all that I have ruined. All that I have destroyed because of my foolishness and naivety. "I'm fine." I say.

I hate that people are constantly worrying over me, especially Dante and Rain when they are the ones who endured much worse than me. I can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of guilt. I know the longer I spend here, in Italy, in the presence of those I love, the more I will break and fall apart.

I need a new beginning. One where I can discover myself, and find real love. Not for people, but for a passion. I want to run away and hide, and become a new person.

I know it's selfish of me.

But I think it's time to take control of my life.

"Alright," Rain breathes. "Well, breakfast is ready."

I turn around to face her, and catch a glimpse of the marks across her face. Scars and cuts that still heal. It may have only been a few weeks, but everything is still healing. Everyone is still healing. It is all still freshly engraved within our skin and our memories.

Rain's hair is no longer long as it once was, but rather sits above her shoulders, and instead of the luminous blonde, it is now a dark brown. Rain isn't the only one who wanted to reinvent herself after all that has happened.

Her body is still so skinny, though as time has passed, I've noticed her natural glow return, as she slowly becomes herself once again.

"That's good, I'm starving." I say, with a small smile across my lips, trying to lighten the mood.

"Good," Rain says, now smiling brightly. "Because I made your favourite... Chocolate chip waffles!"

I now manage to smile a little wider, feeling energized by her enthusiasm. "Delicious, please, lead the way!" I chuckles, as I head over to her.

She nods her head and we leave my room, entering into the grand hall of Rains family manor. Her family are not currently present, and she hasn't yet explained to me where they are, but I don't persist.