Chapter 58: Love

Mia Jones POV:

"You... Y-you what?" I stutter.

"I know Roman is your father." Matteo says cautiously.

My hands fly onto my mouth and I bite back the cry's of emotion that want to spill from me. I don't know what I'm meant to be feeling. I'm feeling everything at once. How could I have been so blind, so terribly foolish and naïve?

"How long?" I whisper.

"Since just before Japan."

I gasp as I find myself stumbling backwards. That was almost two months ago. For two months he's known who I am, who my family is. He's known I am the daughter of the former Italian mafia don... And yet he's kept me, unafraid of the consequences if my father were to find me.

When my father is to find me.

"Mia, I'm sorry... But you didn't need to know I knew. It wasn't--"

"And Harry... How do you know him? Why do I not know I have a fucking brother?" I scream, suddenly filled with the most rage that I've ever experienced in my life.

A whole part of me has been hidden, a sibling I never knew I had. I always thought I was an only child, but I'm not alone, not anymore.

"What did my sister say to you, Mia?" Matteo asks again.

"Why does it fucking matter what she said?" I yell.

Matteo takes intimidating strides towards me, and I think he's about to pounce like a predator on prey, but instead he stops and takes a step back. His face is contort with so many emotions, but it slowly morphs into something softer. "Please. What did she tell you?"

"She asked me if I was going to the funeral... If I was willing to sacrifice myself for Alice. She said that Harry wants to meet me... But I don't understand. Tell me what that means Matteo." I command.

He sighs and runs his hands through his hair for the millionth time. I swear I even see some strands come out.

"Your brother is not a good person Mia, you don't want to meet him." He breaths.

"Of course I do!" I scoff. "He's my brother!"

"You may be related by blood, but trust me when I say that won't matter to him."

"Stop speaking in cryptic riddles and tell me everything straight." I grit. "Katerina told me that if I don't go to the funeral, that they will kill Alice. Were you just going to keep me here and let her die?"

"No! I was going to do everything in my power to find her and bring her back safe to New York. You weren't meant to find out."

"Well I did, and now that I know, you will be taking me to the funeral." I state and watch as Matteo's face hardens.

"No. I am not taking you to that funeral."

"Yes, you are."

"Do you even fucking understand what they are going to do to you if you go? Don't you understand that they will kill you? Mia, your brother is the very man who has made the multiple attempts on your life!" He shouts, frustrated.

I scrunch my face in confusion. What?

"That's right... Your brother; Harry has been the one threatening you. He is the one who took your friend Alice, and he is the one who is going to kill you, if you go to that funeral."

"But why?" I ask. "Why does he want to kill me? I haven't done anything--I haven't even met him." I whisper the last few words.

"Because he wants what you were entitled to from birth."