THREE: Flare

|-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/NYX'S POV-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-|

When I was finally done scrubbing, I grabbed my bow and knife, leaving the room with a basket of laundry. "I'll be two minutes tops, please keep them safe." Daryl watched me quietly walk down the stairs and out the back door. He didn't expect two minutes later for me to return by walking out of my bedroom. "Sorry, didn't mean to spook you, I just did a quick perimeter check, made sure the fences and alarms were intact." Daryl shrugs off the my words, we sat down together once again, I pulled out my step dad's old medical book, highlighters and sticky notes from my bag. I put a dim flashlight in my mouth as I read through the book, Daryl just watched me as I made notes and highlighted important potions when treat someone with a bullet wound in the leg.

"What are you doing?" Daryl questioned after 20 minutes of silence, "I like to prepared for anything. In case it happens to Noel or Naomi, I want to be able to treat them." Daryl tilted his head towards me, "you think reading about it will help you out there." I nod, "It's worked for me so far." I pull down at the neckline of my t-shirt, revealing a stab wound I obtained three weeks ago when the two blokes ambushed us. "Bullet?" Daryl questions, I shook my head no, "blade." I shrug fixing the neckline on t-shirt.

"You never asked us any questions." Daryl points out, "the less I know about you the easier it is to watch you leave." I shrug as I speak the truth. "I know what's coming, why you're constantly moving, there's a herd of them and soon they'll overrun this little town and you'll all leave." I stood up, "that's what adults do, leave." I unlocked the bedroom door, stepped inside and locked it once again, leaning against the door taking a deep breath.

(28th of April, 2011)

It was 7am when Naomi began to stir, I picked her up, I put a jeans and a long sleeved t-shirt on her. I sat Naomi on lap as I brushed her hair, braiding it and clipping tightly to her head. "Now darling, you won't get caught in anything." I smile down at the happy girl, who is playing with the strings on my shirt. I strap Naomi to my chest, waking up Noel, "come on bud, we'll get something to eat before we head out." Noel got up and began to get changed, I waited for him to finish. I heard a sound come from mum's old room, "go downstairs, make sure the door is closed." Noel saluted prepping his gun, once he was out of sight.

I slowly opened the door to see Glenn on top of Maggie. A shocked gasp leaves my lips, I slap my hands over my eyes and Naomi's, slowly making my way back out of the room, "Nyx!" A voice called after me, I shook my head trying to shake the image from my mind. I rushed downstairs, "what did you see?" Noel questions as I join him in the kitchen, "oh nothing." I shiver before cutting up some apples and began feeding Naomi in my arms.

"Where are you heading?" Rick questioned as I braided my hair, "out." I spoke shortly, "and you're bringing Noel and Naomi with you?" Beth questioned, "I always do, keeping them close, keeps them safe." I responded as I geared up, tying my shoes and grabbing my bow. I put Naomi onto my back, "we're going to check our traps." Noel explains, as he tucks his shirt behind his knife and gun making it easier for to grab. "Got the climbing gear?" I question, Noel nods displaying the climbing gear in his backpack.

"If we see the herd we'll send a flare, that'll give you a twenty minute warning." I told the group, they looked back at me confused turning to Daryl. "I didn't say nothing. She told me knew the reason of us moving from place to place." Daryl defended himself. "Stay alive." Noel and I tell the group, stepping out of the house. There was four walkers in eye line, Noel took down the two nearby, and I took the two at a distance. Noel grabbed my hand and we began running towards our traps.

Out of our 10 traps, only three of them were walkerless. I reset the traps, whilst Noel was up in the tree looking around to see if he could see the herd. "Send the flare, they're about ten minutes away from us." Noel called, I did what I was told sending the flare into the sky. Noel and I intertwine hands, we run back as hard as we can to the house, we make it there in 10 minutes instead of fifteen.