FIFTEEN: We're Going to War

(June 4th, 2011)

"Nyx, it's time for you to go on watch." Rick whispered as he shook me awake, I yawn and sit up, flinging my legs over the edge of the bed and putting my boots on, "I hope you don't mind, I asked Carl to join you on watch." Rick informed me as I exited my cell, he locked it after me because Noel and Naomi were asleep in there. Noel must've decided to sleep in my cell because he knew I was on watch and no one would be there if Naomi woke up, "I don't mind at all." I whisper my response to Rick as I retie my ponytail and grab a gun.

Carl was waiting for me at the door leaving the cell block, we share a smile before making our way to the guard tower. "How'd you sleep?" Carl questions obviously trying to make small talk with me, "good, did you get to rest before this watch?" I ask back to keep the conversation going. "Yeah, got a few hours." I nod as we reach the top of the tower, we both sat down and began searching the grounds using our binoculars.

"When's your birthday?" I know it was a random question, and rather silly that I still believe that birthdays should be celebrated. "June 27th, you?" I smile looking over at him, "June 30th, how old will you be?" "15." "Me too." We focused back at keeping watch instead of staring at each other. "What was your favourite thing to do when you were bored before?" Carl questions me, a small smile played on my lips as I thought of a possible answer, "I was a bit of a dork, did a lot of reading. But my favourite thing to do was writing music, it was never good but it helped me express what I was feeling at the time."

There was a moment of silence before I asked Carl the same questions, he told me that he really liked comic books and video games, "I only really read the Spider-Man comics because it's the ones Noel got. I wasn't allowed buy my own comic books, mom said that they were for boys." I shrugged as I surveil the perimeter, "so you never owned your own comic?" Carl questioned and I shook my head no, "my grandmother got me the first three comics in the invincible series for my 11th birthday, told me that nothing I read is gendered, that I can read what I like. Mum and her had a falling out after that." I smiled at the memory.

I still have the comics with me, I read them every now and again to remind me of my grandmother. She's the one that moved us all over to Georgia, since mum couldn't afford to live on her own with me. Gran took care of me when she could, and she was probably my favourite adult that once walked the Earth. "I love those comics!" Carl chimed making me smile over at him, "I still have them if you wanna borrow them." "Really? Are you sure?" I nod and Carl pulls me into a quick hug, I was surprised by it because it felt different that any other hugs I've ever received, it was almost like his touch was electric.

"What are you planning to do tomorrow?" I question Carl as I rest my back against the tower wall, since we were out on the balcony, "I'm going on a run with my dad and Michonne..." Carl was almost weary about my reaction to the news that he was allowed go on runs and I wasn't. "Well please be careful..." I told him, he promised he would. "Shouldn't you be sleeping? You'll be wrecked in the morning for the run." Carl just shrugged at my words as I continued to watch the perimeter. "We'll be up here for another three hours, why don't you take an hour nap? That way you'll be more alert on your run." Carl was going to argue but he knew from seeing the way I interact with Noel that he wouldn't win. "Ok, one hour and you'll wake me up?" I nodded and promised Carl that I would wake him up. I pulled the blanket out of my bag, Carl looked at me strangely, "I brought it just in case it was cold." I handed him over the blanket, he wrapped himself up in it as I continued the watch.

After five minutes, Carl's head slumped onto my shoulder and soft snores left his mouth, I smiled gently at the touch, he was radiating heat and keeping me warm. Nothing interesting really happened during the hour so I decided to give Carl an extra 30 minutes. Rick came up to check on us, brought up a blanket and a smile played on his lips as he saw Carl sleeping next to me. "You made him sleep huh?" Rick spoke, I chuckled and nodded my head as I reminded him that they have an their run and he needs to be well rested.