SEVENTEEN: Anger

(6th June, 2011)

I read most of the book before Naomi was soundly asleep, I quietly sat on the bottom bunk bed since Naomi was on the top bunk, and continued reading the book for myself. "Nyx? Are you free to talk?" I looked up at the cell door where Carl stood, nodded before I moved over and tapped the bed to gesture him to sit down. I close my book and sit Indian style facing him, Carl looked at me, I could see so much anger in his eyes. I stayed quiet, waiting for Carl to work up the courage to talk about what he came here to talk about.

"Sorry.." he mumbled and went to stand up, I grabbed his hand to stop him as I said, "no wait." Carl spin around his cheeks red as he looks at our hands holding each other. "Just take your time, and if you don't want to talk but want some company, you can stay with me." Carl nodded before we both sat back down on the bed, my back against the wall and Carl laid down resting his head on my lap.

I played with his hair as we stayed in silence, until Carl was comfortable enough to speak up, "I'm angry with my dad... not only did he keep something as serious as Michonne's fate a secret from us, but he actually considered giving her to the Governor after I told him that she's one of ours. And now Michonne might be dead and it's all his fault." I listen to him, "he thought he was keeping us safe, but we all know the Governor would've still killed us all after he got Michonne. I feel like he doesn't respect or trust me enough to believe me when I said Michonne was one of us. Like when he pulled that gun on you, I told him that you are one of us and that you've saved us more than once at your own risk and he still chose Merle over you." A small smile played on my lips about Carl's thoughts about me in relation with the group.

"Thank you." I whisper as I look down at the boy, who spun around to look at me, "for what?" Carl question me, "for speaking for me to your dad. For a while he thought I only came after you to hand over Noel and Naomi." Carl sat up straight quickly looking at me stunned, "he said that?" I shrugged, "Glenn told me the night I found you all. Your dad thought I was just passing on my "burdens" to someone else."

Carl frowned and looked away from me, I place my hand on his shoulder, "hey, it's okay, I was still a stranger back then. And I talked it out with your dad and he apologised. I'm just glad that I was able to expand my little family." Carl spun around to look back at me and pulled me into a hug, his grip was desperate and I returned the embrace. "You give the best hugs." Carl mumbles against my neck which causes my skin to tingle, "thanks."

I giggle as we let go, "it's okay to be angry you know. Just don't let your anger cloud your judgement, and remember that I'm always here for you when you need me." Carl nodded, he stood up and made his way over to the door, "thanks Nyx." "Anytime." He nodded at me before leaving. I picked back up my book and dove back into the world of Mulan.

Rick popped in about a hour after Carl left, "Michonne's ok, she just turned up. No Daryl or Merle but Michonne told me that Daryl went to find Merle." I nodded, "can you send her up to me once everyone else welcomes her back? I don't want to leave these two." I gesture to the two young girls that were asleep. "Yeah, of course." I smile at him, Rick turned to leave and he must've caught Carl's eye before spun around to ask me something. "Does he hate me?" I shook my head no, "his angry with you. Doesn't think you trust his judgement or respect him enough to tell him things. Right now he need space, he'll come to you." Rick took a second to let my words sink in, he nodded and slowly left my cell.

I finish reading just before Michonne pops her head in, I jump up and pulled her into a hug. Michonne froze but awkwardly accepted the embrace, "I'm so glad you're ok.." I admit to her before letting go. She spots the book I was reading laying on the bed, "Mulan huh?" She looked at me, I shrugged, "who doesn't love a badass girl who saves the day?" Michonne chuckled, she looked at the two sleeping girls, "she's a good role model for them, as are you." She compliments me, "you are too, fearless warrior with great instincts." Michonne smiled pleasantly at me, "Rick said once Daryl and Merle get back, we'll have a vote on what we do." Michonne informed me.