FOUR: Night in the Field

|-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/NYX'S POV-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-|

Two hours into my watch I spotted a deer, I waved over to Daryl pointing the deer out, Daryl nodded as if to give me the ok to take the deer down. I lined up my shot and hit the dear in the left eye, it dropped instantly. Daryl ran towards the animal, I stayed where I was ready to protect Daryl from any visitors, Daryl picked the deer up and got back inside the fences.

I heard the fence rattling under me, I look down to see Noel climbing the fence. He sat beside me, I wrapped an arm around his shoulder, "did you eat your veg?" I question him, he shook his head no, "I gave mine to Lori for the baby." Noel excused his actions, "you going to eat something?" Noel questioned, I shook my head no, "not today, I'm not due it for another day." I smiled down at my little brother. "How can you only eat every three days and not sleep and still be so aware of everything?" Noel questioned, "because I need to be alert to keep you and Naomi alive and I need to ration what I eat."

"You don't make me ration as much as you." I shook my head no, "you need to stay strong. I need you to be strong so if I die you can keep Naomi alive without me." Noel sighed, "You're the best big sister ever." I chuckled and gave him a kiss on the forehead, "and you the best brother a girl could ask for." Noel puffed out his chest pridefully. I look at my watch, I take off my jacket and give it to Noel, "time for bed, bud. Climb down there and go to the fire, you'll be safe with the others." Noel nodded, "when will you be down?" I looked at my watch, "I'll come down in an half an hour." Noel sadly nodded and made his way down the fence once again. I sent him a small smile and wave as I watched him return to the group. I could feel eyes on me after Noel returned to the others, the cold air kept me awake and alert as I came to the end of my watch.

I felt the fence move under me, I looked down to see Daryl gesturing me to come down. I reattached the barbed wire, and climbed down the fence. Daryl took in my appearance, "you not cold?" I shook my head no, the goosebumps on my arms would give me away as a liar. "Will you help with the deer?" Daryl questioned, I nodded and made my way over to the dead deer.

I searched the deer, "shit." I cursed. "what?" Daryl questioned, I squatted down and exposed the bite mark on the inside of the deers leg. "Fuck." Daryl kicked the dirt angrily. I tied up the deer, strapped it to my back, "I'll dump it on the tracks." I made my way over to the fence, "woah, little missy, you can't go out there alone in the dark." Daryl blocked me, I rolled my eyes and made my way around him. "I've been doing it for years. I can handle myself." I pushed past him again after he reblocked me and I left. I knew I could leave Noel and Naomi with that group, they knew how to survive and Noel knew how to handle himself.

When I made it to the tracks, I dumped the deer and made my way through the woods towards the prison. I killed a couple of squirrels and rabbits on my way back, as well as five walkers. "You let her leave!" Rick's voice boomed when I got close to the prison, "what did you expect me to do? Tie her up to stop her leaving." Daryl argued, "even if he tried he wouldn't get the drop on me." I laughed as I came into their view, "what do you have?" Glenn questioned, "squirrels and rabbits. No bites or scratches so they're safe to eat." I informed them as Rick rushed to let me in. Noel pulled me into a hug, "I tried to tell him you wouldn't abandon me and Naomi." Noel whispered to me. "Never, I need my sidekick." I ruffle his hair as we walk towards the fire.

"Right, now you really need to sleep." I warned Noel, "I'm not having you cranky when we go to check our traps." Noel nodded, I held Naomi and Noel cuddle into my side for some extra heat. I played with his hair, humming a lullaby helping him to fall sleep quickly. "Bethie, sing Paddy Reilly for me. I haven't heard that I think since your mother was alive." Hershel spoke up, Maggie asked her father not to ask for that one, Hershel then changed his request to Parting Glass. "No one wants to hear." Beth spoke back, "why not?" Glenn questioned. I smile and nod at Beth, "of all the money, that e'er I had. I have spent it in good company. And all the harm, e'er I've ever done. Alas, it was to none but me..." I decided to join in with Beth's singing, "And all I've done, for want of wit. To memory now I can't recall. So fill to me, the parting glass. Good night and joy be with you all." Beth smiles and we both look at Maggie to join in, the three of us sang, "Oh all the comrades, that e'er I had. Were sorry for my going away. And all the sweethearts that e'er I had, would wish me one more day to stay. But since it falls, onto my lot. That I should rise and you should not. I'll gently rise and softly call. Good night and joy be with you all. Good night and joy be with you all." I smile looking down at the two kids soundly sleep against me. "Beautiful." Hershel smiles, he looks up at me as if to ask me a question but decides not to bother.