FIVE: Welcome

(22nd May, 2011)

|-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/NYX'S POV-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-|

After I feed Naomi, I hand her over to Noel before tying my hair in a low ponytail and tucking it into my t-shirt. "Strap her on your back and help the others kill the walkers at the gate." I tell Noel, he nods and I help him secure Naomi, "no matter what happens, stay on this side of the fences until Rick says so." Noel nodded, I gave him a kiss on the forehead, "stay alive," we whisper to each other before I join Glenn, Hershel, Maggie, T-Dog, Rick and Daryl at the fence.

"Ready?" Hershel questions Rick, who unhooks the ties keeping the gate shut. Hershel opens it and the six of us rush inside, Hershel closes the gate behind us. I pulled out my bow and began to shoot down the walkers that were furthered away from the group, once I got twelve down I pulled out my knife and started on the walkers in close range.

Everything was going great until we found a whole courtyard full of walkers, and a few of the guards with their body armour on. Our arrows wouldn't go through the armour, I started to help Maggie push the armoured guards away from us when the idea popped into my head. "Maggie, under the visor." I told her, I grabbed the walker and Maggie drove her knife up, killing the walker. Maggie turned to Glenn and T-Dog, "see that?" she questioned, instead of answering they did the same thing, I took one down on my own, so did Maggie, Rick and Daryl.

We made our way into view of the others behind the gate, "stop." Rick told Glenn who was about to wave them in, Glenn told Rick it looks secure, "not from the look of that courtyard over there." Daryl argued pointing in the direction of all the walkers, "and that's a civilian." I point to the woman walker I took down. "So the interior could be overrun by walkers outside the prison." "Well if there's walls down, what are we going to do? We can't rebuild this whole place." Glenn points out, "we can't risk a blindspot." Rick told him.

I looked over to see a building that read cell Block C, "we have to push in." I point to the building. Rick nods and we all follow him, I tucked my bow away properly and rolled back my shoulder as I raised my knife. I stood between Daryl and Maggie, Daryl nodded at Rick before sliding open the doors. The doorway was empty and pitch black, I followed Daryl inside, as Rick opened the metal gate.

We cleared the room quickly, and moved on into the cell block. A walker came at me but thankfully the cell was shut so he couldn't get me. My face paled as I looked at the walker, before I took him out, "you ok?" Daryl questioned as I cleaned my knife. "Noel can't see this one." I told Rick, pointing at the dead walker, "why not?" T-Dog questioned, "it's his father." I respond shortly as I walk away from the adults and double check the cells.

"I thought you were siblings, is his father not yours?" Rick questioned me, I rolled my eyes at Rick, "same mother, different sperm donors." I gesture to the dead walker, "I'm the result of a drunken one night stand, Noel's dad left after our mother OD because he didn't want to responsible for us, Noel was 4, and Matthew was the last and we all know what happened to him." I informed them as I walked down the steps, "he was decent for a year and then he turned sour, beat the shit out of me and mum. Noel doesn't remember that part and I'd prefer if you didn't bring it up."

I made my way along the cells on the ground floor and spotted a walker that was still alive but couldn't move, I took care of him. "Shit kid, I'm sor-" I held up my hand to tell T-Dog to stop talking, "I don't need your sympathy, shit happens and we move on, that's life. Now, I've got some traps to check and an armoury to search for." I curtseyed to the group, turning around and leaving.

Glenn walked me out, said he wanted to tell the others that it's safe to come in. "I'll be back soon Noel." He smiled saying that he knew I would be, "stay alive." I kiss his forehead after we both say it. I jogged down the field and got pass the fences, I took down 6 walkers that were nearby. I hopped onto my motorcycle that Daryl moved out for me this morning, and drove off in the direction of my traps.

I got six rabbits, two squirrels and a badger, I took down 14 walkers and collected a lot of petrol from cars. I spent an hour searching for an armour but couldn't find anything. I decided it was time to head back to the prison because it was starting to get dark. "How'd you do?" Noel questioned, I faked a sad smile as Daryl helped me with the bike, "not good bud," before a smile grew on my face, "I think great would be a better word for it." We parked the bike, and I showed Daryl and Noel my success, "we'll carry it up, you take the little lady." Daryl spoke up gesturing to Naomi in Noel's arms, I nodded taking her off Noel and saying hello to her. Daryl and Noel led me and Naomi into the cell block, everyone came into view with smiles on their faces, even Rick looked like he had cheered up a bit. "So Badger or rabbit?" T-Dog questioned, "Badger, a celebratory feast for this place." I told them, I walked over to Rick, "I didn't find anything in the three mile radius, I'll search the next three tomorrow." Rick nodded his head, "tomorrow bring Glenn with you, show him your rounds, that way you can alternate days you go out and spend time with your family." I smile nodded, "deal."

Rick and I rejoin the group as Noel builds somewhere for a fire to cook our dinner. "He's knows his way around a fire." Maggie points out to me as she steps beside me, "he knows all the skills to survive but one." Maggie and Rick look at me puzzled, I gesture to the group, "a family." Rick and Maggie smile and both pulled me into a hug, "welcome to the group Huntress." Rick mumbles and a smile beamed off my face.

Noel looks up at me, and I simply nodded and he smiled bigger than I've ever seen him smile. "Oh, I found this when I was scavenging." I pulled out a big box of rice, everyone cheered as I tossed it over to Noel. As Carol and Glenn handed out food, I noticed my portion was bigger than anyone else as Glenn was handing it to me. "Give the extra to Lori." I told him and he pointed over at Lori's plate that was being refilled by Noel. "Thank you." I whisper, Glenn smiles and nodded at me.

I slowly began to eat the food, I sneakily put some more onto Carl and Noel's pile, Glenn caught me and shook his head smiling. I continued to eat slowly, the slower you eat, the faster you feel full. I hadn't even made a dent in my food before I was full, I looked over to see that Daryl had inhaled his food, I got up and made my way over to him, handing over my food. "I'm full." I tell him, he thanks me before starting to eat the food I had given him. I open my bag and pull out Naomi's dinner, I sit her on my lap and handed her the spoon, over the last three weeks she started eating dinner by herself. I think she realised that being three almost four means being a 'big girl' as she calls it. I just had to hold her and the bowl, her dinner included mashed up peas, carrots, mushrooms and some pieces of rabbit.

"Nom nom." Naomi smacks her lips after she put the spoon in her mouth, I smiled as I watched her. "Nyx, nom noms." Naomi said, my mouth dropped open in shock at her saying my name and before I could react Naomi shoved her spoon into my mouth. I choked a bit in surprise, whilst Noel rushed over to my side and took Naomi off me, "did she just say what I think she just said?" Noel questioned, I smiled and nodded after I swallowed the food Naomi force feed me. "Who's that Naomi?" Noel asked her, pointing at me. "Nyx." Naomi chimed, "that's right darling." I chime pinching her cheek and she giggles. "Sorry she's been calling me 'No' for the last 2 years..." I explain to the group for my random burst of happiness, "we were 'No' and Noel, how time flies." Noel chuckles wiping away non-existent tears and hands Naomi back to me.

Noel made a cot whilst I was out, I dressed it before Noel laid a sleeping Naomi in it. Carl joins us in our cell, I look at him confused, "oh I'm sorry I didn't know the three of you were staying together." Carl spoke up looking at me Noel and down at Naomi, I shook my head no, "Noel why don't you and Carl go next door? Have some bro time." He hugged me thanking me, Carl smiled at me and I returned it instantly. "You two behave now." I told them as they left. I stretched my body out before Daryl walked in. "You're sleeping tonight." I looked at him in surprise, "Daryl, I can't. I won't hear her crying if I'm asleep, and I won't let her wake everyone else up."

"You said you trusted me." Daryl points out, I reminded him that I do and that I wasn't lying. "I'll be on Naomi duty tonight, you have a year and four months of sleep to catch up on." I looked back at the sound asleep Naomi, I pulled my medical book out of the bag before attaching it to the cot. "That bag will have everything you need." Daryl smiled at me as I dressed my own bed. "Thank you Daryl." I say before he locks the cell door, "first rule of taking care of kids is taking care of yourself. You can do that now." I smiled at him, before crawling into bed and the second I closed my eyes I was out like a light.