THIRTY-THREE: Adventure Gone Wrong

(31st October, 2011)

Carl and I decided to go our separate ways when Patrick, Danny and Oliver asked Carl to join them for a game of soccer. We decided we'd go exploring after lunchtime because it also gave me the chance to spend some time with Phoebe. Since Emily died, Phoebe and I've become so close, we've told each other everything, well I didn't discuss being raped with her. That subject has only been discussed with my group, my family, and it took me two months to have the courage to open up completely to them about it.

Phoebe and I were strolling around the field talking, we checked in on the piglets and sheep. "Patrick talked to me today." Phoebe informed me, she's got a thing for Patrick, she told me that I'm her guardian angel since I brought him here which made me laugh. "What about?" I questioned her as I smile at the pigs happily oink away, "he asked me to join him at dinner today as a date." I gasp excitedly, "really? please tell me you said yes." Phoebe smiled at my excitement, informing me that she did in fact say yes, we let three seconds of girly squeals and giggles at the news. "I'd never pick Patrick as the straightforward type." I admit.

We look over at the group of boys that were in a huddle, before they looked in me and Phoebe's direction. "Uh oh, they're talking about me." Phoebe turned back to me to hide her blush which made me chuckle a bit, "Phoebs relax, Patrick has probably just told them about your date." I tried to help but I could see the boys starting to head over to us. I nod at Phoebe to walk towards the vegetables with me and not to look back.

"Nyx wait!" Carl called, I stopped in my tracks and turned around to face him with a confused smile playing on my lips. Phoebe smirks nudging me, causing me to look away from Carl at her and ask her what, she rolls her eyes and laughs lightly. "I need your help winning a bet." Carl admits stopping in front of me whilst Patrick told Phoebe the same thing. "What do you need us to do?" Phoebe questions the two boys, "we're having a piggy back race against those two. They think they're stronger than me and faster than Carl." I smile at the pride hurt boys in front of us, I look at Phoebe as if to ask 'we doing this?' she nods, "okay we'll help you but what's in it for us?"

We both folded our arms as Phoebe questions the boys, "um well the winner of the bet gets the last Kitkat Michonne gave me." I think of a possible prize but Phoebe chips in, "how about the winners get the library alone during teen time?" we all shake hands, cementing the decision. "Ready Carl?" Carl nods bending down a bit to help me jump onto his back. My arms wrap lightly around his neck as my legs grip his waist. Carl puts his hands in the pits of my knees to hold me in place. I felt a blush rise on my tanned cheeks as Phoebe copies my action, getting on Patrick's back, and Danny gets on Oliver's back. "Alright Zach, count us down." Patrick orders the older blonde as he sends me two thumbs up.

I look back at him confused before I know it we're off. "Ah! hahaha." I scream and laugh out of surprise as Carl takes off, we both are laughing our heads off as I tap the fence and Carl turns to run back. We came first, doing a mini victory dance while I'm still on Carl's back, but Phoebe shoves Carl and causes him to fall backwards. "Ugh." My back slapped against the cold ground, before Carl and I burst into a fit of laughter which causes the others to join in.

The six of us lay in the grass, laughing and looking up at the beautiful blue sky. "I missed that." Carl whispered to me while everyone else was talking, I ask him what, "your real laugh." I smile over at him, resting my head on his shoulder, just as Phoebe groans asking me what time is as she patted her stomach. I look at my watch, and inform her that lunch starts in ten minutes, knowing she doesn't actually care about the time. "Perfect." Phoebe chimes as Oliver questions if Carl and I are exploring straight after lunch, "yeah we are." Carl responds to him.

"I always hated Halloween." I tried to hide my disgust of the insult of my favourite holiday, "careful Danny, Nyx might have a heart attack." Phoebe jokes at the boy, "it was just because I was easily scared. I didn't like going out and being surrounded by monsters." Danny admits, "well this shitty world must be your worse nightmare." I comment as Danny nods his head in agreement, "not all of us can be fearless badasses, Nyx." I chuckle shrugging, "I'd take all of this over my mother any day."

>>>
"Don't do anything I wouldn't." Glenn says as Carl and I grab our weapons, for safety purposes, "that gives us a lot of room to work with." Carl said back to Glenn with a wink in my direction causing me blush at what he was implying. "Fine, don't do anything I wouldn't." My Dad spoke up making me chuckled, "don't worrying, this will be strictly research." I promise giving Naomi a kiss on the head, "not that kind of research." I say quickly realising that I was implying on making our own Naomi. "Stay a-i-ive," Naomi tells me, I whisper it back to her. "Where's Noel?" I asks realising I haven't said goodbye to yet. "Lena's cell." I nod sadly as I sigh, waving goodbye to everyone with Carl walking behind me.

Carl and I were walking through the tombs, in the library corridor, opening doors to see what was behind each door. I heard growling, I quickly pull out an arrow and pointing in the direction the sound was coming from. I saw about eight walkers, I start to shoot them, once four of them got closer, I pulled out my knife sharing a nod with Carl before we start taking out the walkers. Once we got the walkers down, Carol peeps out of the library but I heard more growls, "lock the door, tell Rick we have another breach with your walkie talkie." I tell her as the walkers came into view, "we'll get rid of all the walkers." Carl tells Carol, we heard the door lock as I roll my shoulders ready to go again.

After ten more walkers were killed we were given some back up, in the form of Sadie, Glenn, Tyreese and Riley. I start clapping and whistling loudly to draw out more walkers if there was any. Glenn and Carl join me in making noise and all of a sudden we were surrounded. I focused on keeping myself and Carl safe since we were paired to cover the left.

The flow of walkers stopped on our side and I saw that there was only four other walkers coming at the others, as I stopped one from getting Glenn or Tyreese, I heard a blood curdling scream. Riley had a walker biting into her neck, Carl killed it, whilst Glenn and Sadie got rid of the last two walkers. Riley was crying as she falls to the ground, I kneel down to look down at her. I remember the day I brought her to the prison, it was my first day out recruiting since being raped and I heard her scream. When I got to her I saw a man unbuckling his belt as he sat on her stomach, I instantly killed him, I couldn't let that happen to anyone else, not when I could stop it.

"Nyx..." Riley whispers breaking me out of my thoughts, I take a hold of her hand, "thank you for saving me from being raped, and bringing me here, my home." I had tears in my eyes as I looked down at her, "thank you for everything, but I need you to do one more favour. I need you to kill me now." I pull out my knife, my hands shaking as I looked down at Riley. "I'm so sorry." I whisper to her but Riley smiled at me, "I'm glad I met you, now please, it hurts." I nod, raises my knife to the side of her head, "stay alive." Riley whispers before I sink my knife into her skull. I used my sleeve to wipe away my tears just as Rick's voice came into Glenn's walkie talkie, "Our fence was cut, find Nyx, it's his brother." I stood up picking up Riley, I start to carry her out towards the graves.

I lay Riley on the ground, picking up a shovel and starting to dig her grave, "well if it isn't the girl who murdered my brother and nephew, I never got my turn." I feel his arms snake around my waist, I could feel him against my back and it turned my stomach. "NYX!! NO!" I heard Daryl yell but I throw back my elbow, hitting the man in the gut, and cause him to let go of me. I spun around, kicked him in the balls before I swung the shovel, hitting him in the face and knocking him out. "Pig." I mumble as the rest of the group came running up to me.

I see Carl unconscious in the grass. I drop the shovel and rush to Carl's side. I place my head against his chest, I heard his heart beating and felt his hot breath against my neck, I just ignored the others as I shook Carl to get him to wake up. Carl gasped sitting up, head butting me causing me groan but I quickly pulled him into a hug. "You scared me, I thought I lost you." I admit in a whisper as I hold onto Carl for dear life. "I'm okay, he didn't hurt you did he?" Carl questions gently grabbing my arms to look in my eyes, "she knocked him out with a shovel." Rick informed his son once I finally let go of him, Rick pulled Carl into a hug before inspecting him to make sure he was okay.

"Dad I'm fine, he just surprised me." Carl was slapping Rick's hands away. "Why don't you both head to teen time? We'll sort this." Glenn spoke from behind me, we nod leaving.