THIRTY-ONE: Twelve

(21st July, 2011)

"Happy birthday to you... Happy birthday to you... Happy birthday dear Noel... Happy birthday to you! Woo!" Everyone sang to my baby brother, who is officially twelve today, we all clapped as Noel blew out the candles that I stuck into a milky way bar, Noel's favourite. Noel's burned red from all the attention, reminding me much of the old shy him.

I passed Noel a gift bag, he first pulls out the Pelican 3310 Emergency Lighting Station, "it glows in the dark, so you can find your flashlight easier and there's a wall holder with it too." I explain to him, "cool," Noel spoke enthusiastically as he moved onto his next gift, which is the Kershaw Barricade Pocket Knife, the knife starts off with a steel blade that has been coated with a black oxide that gives it a demure aesthetic that allows the bright orange handle to pop even more vibrantly, it can cut through seatbelts and breaks glass. The next present was a watch, just a plain watch but it also told the date. The last present was a framed photo of the thirteen of us, we took it two weeks ago at Maggie and Glenn's wedding.

It was an adorable little service, Naomi was their flower girl, Michonne, Carol, Beth and I were their bridesmaids, Rick, Carl and Daryl were their groomsmen, Noel was the ring bearer and Hershel was the officiate and he walked Maggie down the isle. The service was quick, there was some dancing because Michonne found an old battery powered CD player, so they had their first dance.

Carl and I danced together, Daryl and Carol were paired up, Michonne and Rick slow danced together, and Beth, Noel and Naomi danced in a group of three. The Woodbury crowd joined in, as well as some of our new recruits, I danced with Oliver for awhile, forcing Carl to dance with Danny. Oliver and I thought we were very funny, as Carl's cheeks went red as Danny led him. Danny knows Carl is straight, but he also likes to mess with him, flirting shamelessly.

Noel gave me a tight hug thanking me for the gifts, I informed him that they were also from Naomi, who got a kiss on the forehead. "Twelve little man, how does it feel?" Glenn asks Noel, "weird, like we're in the middle of an apocalypse and celebrating a birthday just feels strange." Noel admits, I smile down at my little brother, "our celebration of life milestones are what separate us from the walkers, and remind us of our humanity." I remind him on why I care so much about celebrating birthdays, weddings and why we still have funerals and anniversaries.

"You know what twelve means right?" Noel questioned me, I roll my eyes as I remember my promise, "I know, it means you don't have a bedtime anymore and that I'm not allowed badger you anymore." I prove to him that I never forget or break my promises. Everyone else looked quite confused by my declaration, since 12 is still very young, but Noel was the one to explain. "After Matthew died, Nyx promised me that once I made it to twelve that she would let me pick one rule I didn't have to follow anymore. I chose bedtime adding that she can't badger me anymore either, because she could use that to send me to bed." Everyone nodded simply understanding the promise, one I'm happy we were able to achieve.

"I turned twelve 20 years ago and you still badger me." Daryl spoke up making us all laugh, "fine no more badgering anyone over the age of twelve." Naomi groans at my announcement, "but that's ages away." She mumbles, I gasp playfully in shock whilst Naomi pouts at me as if she's hoping I'll change my declaration. "Sorry darling but you're still a baby badger." Naomi tried to stop herself but she started to laugh at me as I did a badger impersonation.

"You're silly Nyx." Naomi playfully slapping my shoulder to stop making faces. "Nyx, how are you feeling about returning to your chores?" Noel asks as he passes me a piece of chocolate, "a little nervous but I'm sure it'll be fine." I admit my nervousness of returning to hunting and recruiting since I haven't been outside the fences since my birthday. "Well we at the council were thinking we could put you on fence duty and watch for the next week, get you back in your element." Hershel informed me.