THIRTEEN: Afraid

(June 3rd, 2011)

I woke up to the sound of Naomi calling my name, I look over to see her standing next to my bed, wanting me to get up. I got up and stretched, before standing Naomi in front of me as I sat down on the bed. "Let's get you dressed first, then we'll do your hair, and get you some breakfast. So, blue or yellow?" Naomi picked out the blue t-shirt to go with her jeans, I got her dressed quickly since she was shivering a bit. Naomi sat on my lap as I brushed her hair and put it into a low ponytail, tucking it into her t-shirt.

"Let's go." I whistled and waved my hand through the cell door, Carl ran over to me and let me out, "thanks." Naomi and I walked hand in hand over to the food shelf. I got some cereal, poured some water over it and walked Naomi back to the steps. The room was quite whilst she ate, the only people up were the kids, Rick and Merle, I looked at my watch to see that it was 7am.

"Look kid, I wanted to say sorry." I ignored Merle, knowing for a fact that he wasn't tryna apologise for almost getting me killed. "What you did out there, yelling and making noise to attract the walkers away from the farmer and the mini you, that took some balls." I roll my eyes, "hey asshole, shut up and leave her alone." I heard Noel call to Merle before he sat down next to me, "ah, I see y'all are family, like me and Daryl." I shook my head no, "we might be siblings, but we are nothing like you."

"How old are you little lady? Cause you're acting like you're grown." Merle questioned, "Merle, leave Nyx alone, she doesn't want to talk to you, and she doesn't need anymore convincing to kill you." Daryl spoke up, Naomi perked up, split her breakfast all over me as she jumped up and ran calling his name. Noel chuckled beside me, I shoved him telling him to shut it and go get me a towel. "I'm 14, and I have to act like that, it's kept us three alive this far." I answer Merle's question as I wipe Naomi's breakfast off me, looking at my drenched clothes which reminded me of something.

"Daryl give me your shirt, I sew it back together for you." Daryl nodded and threw the shirt over to me, I open my messenger bag and pull out my sewing kit. "Noel run up and get your other trousers, and Naomi's jacket, I might as well sew them while I'm at it." Noel nodded and ran to get the things sorted out, whilst Naomi and Daryl play fight. "Now I know why you had us save those Mexicans on the bridge." Merle spoke to Daryl, who just grunted in response, "you're good with her." Merle commented as he watched Naomi try to kick Daryl's shin but he doffed it making her tumble and laugh, "you're good for her too, you'll make her tough like Nyx but she might be what's making you soft." Merle continues.

I could tell that Merle's words were really bothering Daryl. "Merle, leave him alone before I ram this needle into your eye." Merle chuckles at my words, "oh warrior princess over here if trying to protect you like you're her kid." "No, I try to protect him because he's worth protecting." I stood up and threw Daryl's newly sown shirt at him, he nods a thanks at me before Noel returns.

Once I finished sewing, there was a collective whistle and Carl began to let everyone out of their cells. I sigh, taking a deep breath and mentally prepared for what the conversation was going to be about. "We should get ready to go soon." Hershel spoke, I kind of agreed with him, we could make it back to my old house and live another day. "We're not leaving." Rick pushed, "we can't stay here." Hershel countered, "what if there's another sniper? A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds." Maggie argued, "we can't even go outside." Noel pointed out, "not in the daylight." Carol specified. Glenn reminds us that if Rick says we aren't running, then we're not running, which causes Merle to make a comment about living like rats and Rick to ask him if he had any better ideas.

"Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day. But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now." Merle informs, Daryl tells him that "we ain't scared of that prick." Merle tells us that we should be afraid of the Governor, that the truck through the fence thing was him ringing the doorbell. "We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to."