FORTY-ONE: Quarantine

(20th April, 2012)

I walk to the library where Hershel has called a council meeting. When I arrive I see Glenn, Daryl and Hershel already there. "Nyx, you stand away from the table," Hershel instructs me, I nod as I slide my knife back in it's holster. Michonne arrived and was told to stay next to me and away from the others, and Carol took a seat across from Hershel. Hershel takes a second to decide how to start the meeting. "It's spread. Everyone who survived the attack in cell block D. Sasha, Caleb, and now others." I curse under my breath, as Carol asks what do we do.

"First things first. Cell block A is isolation. We keep the sick people there like we tried with Karen and David." Like that work out well for them, they were dragged out and burned to crisps. Carol said that we should ask Rick to look into what happened to Karen and David whilst asking Hershel what are we going to do to stop it. "There is no stopping it. You get it, you have to go through it." Hershel informs us, Michonne reminds him that it just kills you but I was the one who spoke up, "No the illness doesn't, the symptoms kill you. We need antibiotics."

Daryl reminds me that "we've been through every pharmacy nearby and then some." Hershel points out that the veterinary college at West Peachtree Tech, that survivors might've surpassed it without thinking it would have medication. "That's 50 miles. Too big a risk before. Ain't now. I'm gonna take a group out. Best not waste any more time." Daryl began to get up and get ready to leave, "I'm in." Michonne and I say at the same time. "You haven't been exposed. Daryl has. You get in a car with him..." Hershel warns us but Michonne tells him that Daryl has already given her fleas, which made me laugh. "Nyx you can't, you're vulnerable." I sigh in defeat promising Hershel that I will stay put. "I can lead the way. I know where everything's kept." Hershel begins to get up, but I disagree about him going, Daryl backs me up, "when we're out there, it's always the same. Sooner or later we run." Hershel decides to draw a map instead.

"There are other precautions I feel we should take." "Like what?" I question him, he looks me in the eye as he prepares to break the news to me. "There's no telling how long it'll be before Daryl and his group return. Wouldn't it make sense for us to separate the most vulnerable? We can use the administration building. Separate office, separate rooms." When Glenn questions who's the most vulnerable, I knew why Hershel was wary about my reaction as he said the young. "What about the old?" I ask him, Hershel sighs and take a few seconds to think, "yeah, we'll quarantine the old as well." We all agree on the terms, I'm given the duty of rounding up the kids and helping them settle into quarantine. I knew for a fact Carl would be pissed that he has to come as well, but maybe I can give him an offer he can't refuse.

I've gotten most of the kids settle but I noticed that my little brother was no where to be see, "where's Noel?" I question the room looking for some kind of answer, "Nyx... he has it." George informed me, I felt my heart sink to my stomach at the news. "Oh god, is he okay? How bad was he?" I keep my distance from George knowing he was exposed and was soon heading to A to treat everyone. "Best case so far, just a cough and a fever. You can come visit him if you'd like." George offers but Rick and Carl arrive and Rick informs George that I have to go into Quarantine.

"Someone needs to visit him." I tried to argue with Rick but he told me to take Carl to the administration building and he promised me that he would talk to Noel for me. Carl hands me a bag containing my belongings, "can I at least room with my girlfriend?" Carl questioned his dad, yep he's pissed. "Well that is up to Nyx, she's in charge there." I shook my head no, "Carl is in charge there. I'm just his first lady." Carl chuckles and seems to ease at the idea that he's in charge. "You keep me well informed on my brother." I warn Rick before sliding my hand into Carl's and leading him to our temporary relocation.

When we arrive I see Phoebe in the hall coughing, I wrap a bandana around my nose and mouth, pointing Carl to our new room whilst I approach my best friend. "Come on Phoebs, let's get you to isolation." I tell her walking Phoebe to A, Carol was manning the door letting a coughing Oliver and Danny into the room. "Nyx, you're not supposed to be here." Phoebe coughed into her elbow, and Carol dropped her scowl. "Phoebs you can survive this." She smiled as she went inside the block, "don't worry Nyx, I'll keep the boys safe." I smile at her as I watch her make her way towards an empty cell. "Nyx, I told to not to be here." Rick rounded the corner, "Phoebe has it, I was bringing her here, there's no point in quarantining if you have the sick amongst the healthy." I argue, turning around and making my way back to Carl.

When I make it back to the administration building I heard Carl say, "you're walking towards the exit." My eyebrows knit together until I round the corner to see Carl talking to Hershel, who tells him he needs to go out there. "Out where? To the cell blocks?" I question making my presence known. "To the woods." Hershel quickly responds, "so you're sneaking out." Carl states, Hershel rolls his eyes saying that he doesn't need anyone worrying about him "and I damn sure don't want someone telling me I can't go." Jeez adults are so stubborn, "we can't just let you go out into the woods by yourself." I argue with him, "let me?" Hershel questions but I also conclude that we can't stop him, Carl tells Hershel that he'll have to tell Rick. "Go ahead, then. I'll be out there by the time you find him."

I look at Carl and then back at the doors where I know frightened kids are staying. "Hershel. If you have to go, then Carl has to go with you." Carl looked surprised that I wasn't offering to go myself, "Nyx, you can't be serious. I'm not a defenceless child." I rolled my eyes, if he wanted to stop being treated like a child, then he'll have to stop acting like one.

"You gave me the job of being here. Rick gave Carl the job of making sure everyone is safe, that includes you, he's going and that's the end of it." Hershel sighed knowing that I was right. "Be safe and stay alive." I tell the pair on my way to check in on Beth and Judith, I give Carl a kiss passing him my knife, "promise me you'll only shoot if you need to." Carl promises and I watch as him and Hershel leave. I better not regret this forcing Hershel to bring Carl along.

I was strolling along the corridors of the administration building, and if I'm honest I'm a little afraid. We were never truly safe, because the second things start to feel normal, there's something new tryna kill us. It's like the world wants to restart, rebuild or maybe it's just the extremes of 'Survival of the Fittest'. It's harder to find a reason to keep going, but I know one thing that the people I love are worth struggling for.

Carl, Noel, Naomi, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Hershel, Michonne, Beth, Rick, Carol, Sasha, Tyreese, Lena, Hailey, and Phoebe. They believe in me, they see my strenght when I'm at my weakest and I will do anything to make them proud. I will live for them, and most importantly I will live for myself, because I'm worth having a future, I'm worth the history books, and I'm most definitely worth cherishing the present.