TWENTY: Renovations

(7th June, 2011)

It was an early morning for Rick's group, we all got up at seven and started with making Noel's inventions to fix the breaches in the fences. We decided to also use the wooden pallets just for reinforcement, to keep the steel wall up. Me and Daryl were assigned to stand outside the fence where the breaches were, covering Noel's back as he attaches his wall to the rest of the fence, killing all walkers that approach the noise.

I mostly used my knife when taking down the walkers, Daryl said that I should use my bow once there's more than four walkers at a time. We had the walls made and up by ten, and then we took a well deserved break, we ate something small before clearing the field of dead walkers, "I don't want walker infected soil." Rick told us, we all agreed to clear the field today and start on the farm in a few days, Sasha, Karen and Tyreese helped us with removing the bodies and moving the fence from the courtyard to the part the Governor took down.

"Nyx, are you up to helping us re-clear cell block B?" Rick questioned popping his head into my cell where I sat reading my book, I look at my watch to see that it's 3pm, "yeah, I'm not on watch for another two hours anyways." I stood up and pulled on my boots, and picked up my knife and gun. "Actually, I gave your watch to Karen." Rick admitted as he lead me out of the cell block, "oh, oh okay, it's good that we're involving the Woodbury people already." I smiled at him a little upset that I wasn't going to get to do watch but I knew that Rick wouldn't take it off me unless he was sure.

"I was hoping you'd be a part of the council.." Rick admitted and my jaw almost hit the floor in shock, I froze in my spot causing to make Rick to stop and look back at me. "Wait really? Or are you just messing with me? Because I swear if this is a joke I might never talk to you again." Rick chuckled at my reaction, "no I mean it, Me, you, Hershel, Sasha, Carol, Glenn and Daryl." I start walking again beside Rick, "but why me?" I ask him as we make our way out of cell block C.

"You had a lot of good ideas yesterday, and I think it's good to have someone your age on the council, to bring up the worries to the younger generation." I blush as we get closer to the clearance group, "why not ask Carl?" I question him, "Unless you forgot, Carl just killed someone whilst they were surrendering, he's not ready for that kind of responsibility." Rick reasoned with me, "I didn't forget, I'm still pissed at him." I admit as I retied my hair, tucking it into my shirt. "Let's go!" Rick called to the group and we all make our way to cell block B.

Me, Rick, Daryl, and Glenn arrive at cell block B. There was about 15 walkers in there, they must've gotten in there when the tombs were full. "Stay in formation." Rick ordered we all nodded in agreement before making our way into the cell block, using the push and kill strategy. Push them back first to create space and then you stab them in the head. I only took down three walkers, Daryl, Glenn and Rick took out the rest of them. Tyreese and Noel carried out the bodies as we checked the cells, it wasn't too bloody, easy to clean up what blood is on the floor, "Carol and Beth said they would do the cleaning." Glenn mention as we took in the appearance of the cell block. Merle had tore up most of the mattresses trying to find dope. Luckily they weren't in unfixable states, "I could sew these up and have them ready for tonight." I point out as I start to pick up the mattresses, the three men help me carry them over to cell block C.

Twenty minutes into fixing the mattresses, I had only finished three, two elderly woman and a boy around my age from Woodbury approach me, "It's Nyx right?" the boy questioned me shyly, "yes, what can I help you with?" I question politely, "actually sugar, we want to help you." The black woman, who was probably in her late 60's, states. "Nyx, this is Mrs. Richards and Mrs McLeod." Mrs McLeod had obvious hispanic relations, and her smile light up the room. Both of the women shook my hand excitedly, "they were hoping to help you with mattresses, they were both seamstresses before."