NINETEEN: Planning

(6th June, 2011)

"Everyone follow me." Rick ordered our group, we all went outside into the same section of the yard, Rick decided that our group will be a democracy. "Right, we should devise a plan for clearing out the prison and our future here." Rick informed us of our planning, I pulled out my journal and ripped a few pages out of it. I draw a map of the prison, labelling every place we know about, handing it to Rick, who looked impressed at my drawing. "Well we should probably fix our breaches before we move onto clearing." Rick began as he noticed I had marked where the breaches were.

"Can I borrow a piece?" Noel questioned pointing to my paper and pen, I hand them over to him and he began scribbling, sliding his completed work into the middle of the table next to where Rick placed my map. "We can use the metal up in the catwalk, weld it together and then weld it to the fences that are still up near the breaches. Don't have to make it too high, just too high to climb over." Everyone nodded in agreement, "ok, that shouldn't take too long. We can clear cell block B again ." Glenn pointed out, the cell block, I pull out my green highlighter and mark all the sections we're doing tomorrow. "We can use the fence around this small courtyard to rebuild the gates the Governor mowed down." Maggie suggested, we all agreed that's tomorrow's plan.

"Ok, the next day we can fix up the watch towers and clear cell block A & D." Daryl pointed out, using my orange highlighter I mark those. "And the next day we can clear the field and build some structures for farming, and drills for vegetables." Hershel planned, I grab my pen and write 'clear and farm prep' in the middle of the field, highlighting it yellow. "We can also build a food area outside, where we can cook and all eat together. Ummm, here!" I wrote it down once I found the perfect spot to build a outdoor cafeteria, also marking it yellow. "We could try and get the showers back working, the tank is empty so we could collect rainwater for showers." Daryl speaks up, "we could tinker with an engine generator and maybe get electricity back to the prison, use it for washing laundry, lights in the tombs etc." Noel suggested, instead of marking them onto the map.

I took down the ideas, "once we set up jobs, we'll have organise a children's club or something, keep the children busy while the adults are working." Carol pointed out, I wrote it down agreeing with her. "We could add spike at the entrance, like the ones Morgan had." Carl suggest, he pointed it out to me where we would put it. I just wrote 'spikes' because I wasn't sure what he meant, I knew who Morgan was but I didn't see his defences.

"That looks good for now, now let's discuss jobs." Rick spoke looking at the map, quite impressed in what we came up with. "We'll need doctors, cooks, cleaners, farmers, people on watch, a 'run' team, child carers and recruiters if we plan on taking in more people." Daryl spoke up, "we could also do with patrol, you know to break up any fights or arguments that happen amongst the group, because it's bound to happen with so many people under the one roof. Maybe even a council and we could have mini trials to sort out disputes. Also a seamstress, take old clothes and make new ones when the kids grow out of their own clothes, or clothes are ripped." I suggest, to the group who nodded their heads in agreement, "we should have a crowd control team as well. Kill the walkers through the fence before we get a build up." Beth adds, "and then people on gate duty, let people in and out. They monitor who has left and where they plan on going and if they're not back in 24 hours we could send a rescue crew out for them." Maggie comes up with a brilliant idea, "so we'll need a rescue team." Glenn points at me to write it down, I do as told. "We should rotate the jobs every two weeks, so people don't get restless." Hershel plans, "the council can distribute the jobs." Rick spoke up and we all agreed.

"I could go back to my old house, pick up my rainwater barrels, the seeds for farming, my sewing machine and few more basic supplies." I spoke up nervously, hoping Rick wouldn't be mad at me for suggesting to go on a run, "I'll need someone to drive me of course, cause I can't exactly carry all that back and I can't drive a car." I add hoping that would help my case. "Glenn and I can take her now, we'd be back in before it's dark." Maggie offers her and Glenn to help me, "ok, go and be careful." Rick agreed, I beamed happily and gave Naomi and Noel a kiss on the forehead, "stay alive." I chime at the others, Noel and Naomi repeated it back at me before I hoped into the pick up truck.