EIGHTEEN: Arsehole

(6th June, 2011)

We sat in the woods, our vehicles hidden using branches and we sat watching the prison. The Governor arrived with four vehicles, they shot at and blew up the watch towers, and cleared the field of walkers. It was so loud that Noel had to cover Naomi's ears. Their army jump out of the vehicles that had popped tires, leaving only one to drive up into the prison yard. Then they were out of sight, I sighed hearing a few walkers approach, I nudged Carl to alert him of the walkers and the both of us took them down. The prison alarm went off, we all moved a little closer when we heard gunshots, "I should be there." Carl comments, looking at me as I roll my eyes at his words, "something to say Nyx?" Carl approached me, I shook my head no and walked away from him, "don't worry, I'll never ask you for help again." I commented and went alone to take down the walkers that were coming towards the noise, ignoring Carl.

The shooting stopped and some of the vehicles drove off, a young boy came at us and we all raised our guns at him. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Don't shoot." The kid raised his hand in surrender, "drop the weapon, son." Hershel requested, "sure. Here, take it." I make my way over to him when I notice Carl wasn't taking the gun off the boy, "what's your name?" I question as I take a hold of his gun before I gasp in shock when the boys blood splashed on my face. Carl had shot him, I stood in shock still holding onto the gun he was handing over.

"What's your problem dude?" Noel approach Carl shoving him, "he was with him." Carl argued shoving Noel back, I got in between them and shook my head no, "he was handing over his gun, he just stumbled on us." I spoke trying to wrap my head around Carl's actions, "I had his gun in my hand, he was surrendering, he was just a kid." I spoke angrily passing the gun to Noel as I shoved Carl angrily. "What gives you the right to end his life?" I ask him and Carl scoffed at me, "don't act all innocent Nyx, you've killed more people than I have, you killed your own family." I shoved him again, calling him an arsehole and stormed off towards the prison.

"Nyx? Why are you walking up here alone?" Glenn questioned, I was slightly less angry as I processed what happened on my walk back, "I don't want to talk about it." I told him as he opened the gate for me, "why's there blood all over your face?" Daryl question, I just repeated that I didn't want to talk about it. I walk straight into the cell block, ignoring the others trying to stop me to force me to talk to them. Daryl grabbed me before I could disappear, and just as Noel, Beth, Judith, Naomi, Hershel and Carl arrived, "please let go, I can't stand to look at him right now." Daryl looked at me confused, before noticing that Noel was also glaring at Carl.

"Dad, I'm coming to Woodbury." Carl declared and I rolled my eyes at him, "Carl." Rick went to argue. "Dad, I did my job out there. Just like all of you. Took out one of the Governor's soldiers." "One of his soldiers? A kid running away? He stumbled across us." Hershel points out and Carl said that he drew on us, "he didn't, he was handing over his gun. I had it in my hand and you killed him." I spoke up against Carl, who just scoffed as he looked at me, "never ask for my help again if you can't handle it." I went to go tackle Carl but Daryl grabbed me to stop me, "I never wanted your help, I wanted to convince you to get out of the prison like you were told. But you had to fight it, like you do with every order given to you." Daryl carried me away from the group, "you're a liar Carl!" I shouted at him before Daryl's hand slid over my mouth.

"What happened between you two out there? You were the best of buddies before." Daryl asked sitting with me in my cell to stop me from trying to get at Carl. "He killed that kid Daryl, I had his gun in my hand, he was surrendering and Carl just shot him. And when I was telling him off, he told me to stop acting innocent that I've killed more people than him, that I even killed my family. He compared the hardest thing I've ever had to do, to him gunning down a innocent boy, the gun he was handing over wasn't even fired." Daryl did something I never expected him to initiate, he hugged me and I held onto him as all my anger turned to frustration and tears spilled down my cheeks.