THIRTY-TWO: Changes

(25th August, 2011)

I make my way into Daryl's cell with a very nerve wrecking question on my mind, and an unsettling fear of rejection. "Daryl!" I shout when he enters the cell making him jump in surprise, before smiling softly at me. "Everything okay?" He asked gently, reminding me of my little episode earlier and I nodded my head vigorously yea. "Yup. Fine. Dandy. Okay, bye." I went to leave but Daryl stopped me and we both sat down on the bed next to each other. "What's on your mind?" I gulped as I threw the question around in my head a bit, "a months ago... I called you Dad before I fell asleep." Daryl looked utterly confused why I was bringing it up, but then nodded thoughtfully as if to ask me to continue.

"I've never called someone that before... I've never really had someone in my life who made me feel secure and safe like you do. You've been with me through all the bad and good since we first met. You stepped in and made sure that I was okay, that I was eating and sleeping properly and I've never had that before." I admit shyly, playing with the hem of my shirt. "My mum pretended I didn't exist, my stepdad's were abusive alcoholics, and the only person I used to feel safe with was my Grandma but she couldn't be around all the time, she was our main source of income." I pause for a second, gathering my thoughts so that I didn't get too far off topic.

"So while I was locked up in the attic on my 6th birthday, I made a decision. That I would never call any of my stepdads by anything other than their name until they've earn the role of being my dad. I never pictured a face... it was always a knight, riding a black horse because white horses were reserved for the man I'd marry." Daryl and I both chuckled at my my childish rule. "He was strong, brave and protected me from all the people who hurt me." I let a soft smile grow on my lips at the memory flashing before my eyes.

"Daryl, the reason I called you dad because you are exactly what I dreamed up. You are strong, brave, and protective of me but you're also a little rough around the edges, just like me. I came here to ask you a question, one that terrifies me but also one that I need to ask." Daryl nodded and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, and I felt myself relax. "If it's okay with you... I'd like to give you the title of my Dad... and maybe be like your, I don't know, adoptive daughter?" I close my eyes once I get the words out, "sounds good to me. But I'm not adopting one of ye, I'll have to take all three." I beamed brightly at Daryl's acceptance and tackled him with a hug. Noel and Naomi cheer, running in to join our little family hug.

(31st October, 2011)

It's Halloween today, also know as my favourite holiday, and I know what you're thinking. 'Surely, you don't celebrate Halloween when you're in the middle of an apocalypse and pretty much every day is Halloween' but I do because my Halloween was very different from your average kid. Halloween was the only time of year, I was allowed out of the house, which meant I did as much exploring as I could whilst also retrieving candy.

I know this year I won't be able to retrieve candy but I'd like to explore more of the prison, map out the tombs or maybe find a hangout place. I begged the council to give me this day off, since I've been working nonstop since the start of August. I explained my affiliation with Halloween which also force out the truth out my Rapunzel-esque past.

As you know I was my mother's 'young, dumb and drunken mistake' and once we moved to Georgia Mom thought a 2 year old would scare off her potential suitors. In other words once we arrived in Georgia I was erased, I was homeschooled by gran, and the only time I was allowed in public was on Sundays during my gran's brunch dates with friends. Other than that I was locked away from the rest of the world, Alex and Matthew didn't find out about me until after my mother got knocked up. I was introduced to them as my mother's adopted daughter, if it wasn't for Gran I would've died years ago.