FORTY: Jaw

(20th April, 2012)

Tyreese came into my cell, interrupting me making arrows, telling me he wants me to follow him cause he has something to show me. We collected Rick, Daryl, and Carol on our way to the courtyard, I noticed a trail of blood leading outside and a smell filled my nostrils. It was a mixture of a charcoal and sulfur, it smelt like something was extremely burnt. That's when they came into view, two bodies, black from melted skin and burnt muscle. My stomach turns upside down by the sight, and I almost puked everywhere.

Why did I need to come see this? "Who are they?" Carol questions Tyreese, "Karen and David." Tyreese informed us, my heart sunk at the news and it ached for Tyreese who just discovered his girlfriend burned into a crisp. I move to stand next to Daryl as Rick asks Tyreese if he found them as they are. "I came to see Karen... and I saw the blood on the floor. Then I smelled them." Tyreese informed us, I could tell he was getting angrier the more he talked and looked at the two bodies. "Somebody dragged them out here and set them on fire. They killed them and set them on fire!" Tyreese proclaims before advancing towards Rick, Daryl and I instinctively move behind him to pull him off Rick just in case.

"You're a cop. You find out who did this and you bring 'em to me. You understand? You bring 'em to me! We'll find out who-" Daryl grabs Tyreese's shoulder in an attempt to make him back up a bit but Tyreese just shakes his hand off. "I need to say it again?" Tyreese questions Rick. Rick told him no and that he understands what he's feeling and that he's been there before and how dangerous it is. "Karen didn't deserve this. David didn't deserve it. Nobody does." Tyreese was getting to angry, I touched his shoulder as I ask him to calm down, and at the same time Daryl tried to get him to calm down.

Tyreese spun around shoved me to the ground as he grabbed Daryl and pushed him against the wall. "We're on the same side, man." Daryl tells Ty as I get up wiping my clothes. Tyreese was shaking rage as he held Daryl, "hey, look, I know what you're going through. We've all lost someone." Rick began I stood behind him just in case, Tyreese spins around and punches him. "We know what you're going through right now, but you've got to calm down." Wrong words Rick, never tell someone this rageful to calm down, I proved right when Tyreese turned and shove Rick away from telling him to take a step back. And for the second time in the last two minutes I was on ground, but this time I got more than a graze.

I got back watching the seething man as Rick tells Tyreese that Karen wouldn't want him acting the way he was. Tyreese punched Rick, Carol rushes to Rick's side whilst Tyreese punches Rick again and I slip in between. "TY, BACK UP NOW." I yelled at him, placing two hands on his chest and pushing him away from Rick, and holding him back. I felt a hand tap my arm telling me to move, I do as I'm told before Rick punches Tyreese. Ty hit the ground and Rick kicked him in the gut, I grab Rick's arm to stop him from punching Ty again but I got an elbow in the jaw as Rick wound his arm.

"Fuck." I drop Rick's arm, clutching my jaw as Carol pulled me away from the men, taking a look at my jaw whilst Daryl broke up the fight. Daryl gets Rick to calm down, "Car-rol, go to Ty." I struggle to speak, Carol looks even more worried, "I, I will, g-go to Hurtshell." I tell her still holding my jaw, making my way past Rick and Daryl, ignoring Rick's attempts to apologise to me as I passed.

"Hurtshell?" Hershel's eyebrows knit together spinning around to see me cupping jaw that was now bruised and a bit swollen. "What happened?" Hershel told me to sit down as he pour some cold water onto a cloth and placing it on jaw, I hiss at the contact but sigh as it starts to soothe my jaw. "Ty nd Rick. fight. elbow." Is all I say trying not to talk too much because it hurt. Whilst we waited for the swelling in jaw to go down a bit, Hershel cleans the cuts on my arms from being pushed to the ground.

"Hershey, Carol askked me to make shoeur Nyx is wif you." Naomi proclaims as she makes her way into the cell, she gasped as she saw my appearance and my failed attempt to smile at her. "You otay? Does it hert?" Naomi asks me taking a seat on my lap and cuddles into me, knowing that it always makes me feel better. "a wittle princess." I admit which makes Naomi giggle, pointing out that I'm talking like her now. Naomi gave me a kiss on the other side of my jaw, "betur?" I tell her it feels much better and thank her. Naomi stays with me, holding my hand as Hershel examines my jaw.

George comes in as Hershel's second opinion, "good thing is it's not broken or dislocated, just bruised, so you'll have to ice it for twenty minutes every hour to keep the swelling down." I nod as George went to grab some ice in a rag, "let me guess, no solids." Hershel nodded at my guess, sympathy in his eyes. George hands me the ice, I thank the both of them, leaving Hershel's cell with Naomi. We decided that we would do some drawing together, Naomi gets the supplies whilst I sit on the bench. "What's the verdict?" Daryl questions once he sees me, "just bruised, ice it and no solids." I inform him as I rest my elbows on the table, "Carl's gonna be disappointed tonight." I look at Daryl confused what he meant, which made him and Carol to start chuckling after Carol said "poor kid."

Rick and Carl enters the room and it felt like the air was sucked out the room once Carl sees me. "What happened to you?" Carl questioned rushing to my side, "tripped walking up the stairs, hit my jaw off the top step." Carl pulls me into a hug, I sigh in relief as I hold onto him, I always loved Carl's hugs. "She'll go okay, just has to ice her jaw and not eat solids." Daryl adds, I could feel Rick, Carol and Daryl's disbelief that I lied to Carl about how I obtained my injury.

Truth is I know Carl better than I know myself, and I know that he would be pissed at Rick for hurting me, and he's finally got his gun back, he doesn't need to blow a fuse. "I'm going to wrap you in bubblewrap once we find some. For a badass you're clumsy as hell." I chuckle as Carl gave me a gentle kiss on the lips. "Carl!" Naomi yells dropping all the drawing supplies and runs into Carl's arms.

I roll my eyes, I swear Naomi likes Carl more than me, she saw him this morning and she's acting like she hasn't see him in weeks. Naomi takes a seat on Carl's lap and asks me to go and pick up the stuff to draw with. "Wick? Can Carl stay and draw?" Naomi asked Rick, who was watching me curiously as I pick up the drawing supplies. "Yeah, son you can have the rest of the day off." Rick told Carl who beamed looking at me as I slide in the seat next him.

"Nyx, can I speak with you for a second?" Rick questioned me as I set Naomi up to draw, I nod, sliding off the bench and following him away from Carl. "Why didn't you tell him I did that to you?" I sigh looking back at Carl drawing with Naomi, "because we've been through enough yesterday, there's no need for Carl to fall out with you over me." I told Rick the truth, he apologised to me saying that he saw red. I told him that he needs to work on his behaviour and get settled into his role better before making too many tough decisions. "I forgive you Rick, but please don't make a habit of it." Rick pulls me into a quick hug, telling me to get back to Carl and Naomi.