I Wish You Were A Superwoman For Your Own Sake

I should've texted her and told her we were coming before knocking on her door. I didn't want Gabriel to see this.

'You're drunk. We'll just talk tomorrow... come here,' I say and help her to her bedroom. She's a crying mess.

'Sweetheart, I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... oh, sweetheart.'

I walk past Gabriel who's still standing in the hallway, go into the living room, clean up some bottles on the way, and notice a lot of flower bouquets with get-well-soon cards laying around. I arrange the sofa bed like I've done so many times before. Every weekend.

I go find blankets and pillows, along the way cleaning up new bottles laying around.

'This is the only extra bed. We'll have to sleep together,' I tell Gabriel when he comes to me, and I can't look at him because he can see everything I'm holding.

'Ok.'

I take all the bottles I've gathered and go into the kitchen to throw them in the trash. I've done this so many weekends, too.

I turn of the lights, and then go lay down in the sofabed, face down. I can feel Gabriel getting in bed beside me.

'Edge. You ok?'

'Yeah. Fine.'

Gabriel doesn't say anything more, and I hate it, so I turn and scoot over to him so my head is resting on his chest. He seems surprised, but doesn't say anything now either. So I kiss his t-shirt-covered chest, but still get no attention from him.

Then I move to his neck, and kiss that.

'Edge, please stop.'

I stop, but don't move. We're so close I can feel his breath.

'Mom drinks... I thought rehab was working this year, but..'

'I'm sorry, Edge.'

***

My uncle, Niall, and my aunt, Marte, have two sons; Ten-year-old Connor, and sixteen-year-old Paul.

They live in paradise, not because their massive luxury apartment in Norway, but because they have Marte, their mother. I've only seen her for two days, but still managed to get jealous of my cousins. Niall also seemed amazing with his kids, but Marte was a shining star in the room. Strong, confident, and managed to give all her children the attention they needed, and making them happy. I've never felt so jealous about someone's mother before.

'Hi,' I hear mom come into the room.

'Hi,' Gabriel says back. He's still holding me in his arms; we fell asleep like this. They think I'm still sleeping, but I just don't want to face mom so I'm pretending again.

'It's been a long time,' Gabriel says.

'Yes. Ten years.'

There's a long pause before mom speaks again.

'I've made a lot of mistakes, Gabriel.'

'I know.'

'It's not just the memory potion.'

'I know.'

'You may not believe this, but I wanted to stop Ben.'

'Why didn't you?'

'I couldn't. He used the drinking against me, said he could easily make me lose Edge legally like Nathan.'

'He threatened you?'

'He's not who I thought he was. He's a psychopath.'

'Oh, you mean like Nathan?'

'I'm sorry.'