Annoying Children🎸

I like the hanging pods at the edge of the dock.

It's cozy.

The view is amazing, and just keeps getting more amazing the more I'm looking at it.

'The peak is coming soon, ready to give us some rocky tunes now?'

'I don't know how rocky they'll be, but...'

Poly jumps out of the pod and drags me with her. 'Remember we don't care if you suck. It's just fascinating to watch you do things you can't remember doing. That's all I want to see,' she says, going over to the instruments. They're spread around the floor in a circle along with a billion cables.

'Ok,' I say, and then a sudden gentle wave of something crashes up through my body, washing away the tension I've been holding. 'Woah...'

Poly smiles at me. 'Tingly?'

I nod.

'You're focusing on these now,' she points at the instruments, 'The peak is coming soon, and this is what we want you to be doing when it's there.'

I sit down by the drum set. The drumsticks feel so good in my hands. People have noticed that I've sat down, and some are coming to watch me. I don't know why, but I'm not scared or nervous or anything, anymore. So I start playing, and my hands know exactly what to do. I let them do whatever they want. And what they do sounds good, and the people around me think so, too, I think. They're smiling a lot. I like that they smile, so I keep on playing.

I don't know what I'm doing at all, but it's ok. I feel like I can finally trust my body. I feel energized, ready... alive.

I get up and hit the recorder. Then I play the drums for a moment. Then I do another recording. The synthesizer for a moment. I know what to do. Another recording, another version on the synthesizer. Another recording, bass guitar. Next time I record, I play everything I've recorded while playing the electric guitar. At last, I have all the recordings, all the sounds I need, I know it's what I need, I know how to use the sounds. And then I use them.

Poly is laying on her back in the center of all the instruments. I'm on my knees by her, controlling the music with the synthesizer, mixer, and I have all the power to make it sound like I please.

So I do what I please.

I loop one track. Then another. Play over. Grab my guitar and do something new. The strings feeling so right, so good under my fingers. I stretch my body over Poly's to reach one of the synthesizers, do some melody, loop it. Stop it. Loop one I did earlier. I get off Poly, turn to the bass guitar again. Play while laying on my back beside Poly. I close my eyes, feeling the vibrations of the bass. Feeling the magic of the music.

Without thinking at all, I open my eyes, sit up, and grab the microphone. I adjust the sound effects, making my voice sound different. It's so good, and I loop my voice while laying down beside Poly, just listening now.

'Poly?'

'Yes?'

'I feel alive.'

'That's very good, Edge.'

I listen to my own music a little more, it's so loud, so good, then I suddenly know what else I want to do, and I get up again.

I layer and layer and layer and loop and loop and loop, and take the microphone, new sound effect, sing, it's more like talking, but the rhythm in it makes it a part of everything else. I get up, drop the microphone, grab the guitar, do something that makes me feel like I'm the coolest person in the entire universe.