Why He's Been Avoiding Me

Silence.

A long silence.

Then the door opens and it comes as a surprise and I fall, my head banging hard against his floor.

'Ow.'

He's sitting like I was sitting, head against the wall beside the door. He looks down at me, waiting for me to get up, but I can't.

'Just a moment. I just really hurt my head just now.'

He waits, but it still hurts so bad, and I don't think I can get up.

'I can heal it,' he says.

'Yes, please.'

He leans over me, and of course not looking me in the eye, as he places his hand on the back of my neck. He heals it immediately, but he keeps holding his hand there as if he's not done, but he is.

'Did it work?' he asks eventually.

'Nup,' I say, and let him hold his hand there a little more.

'Now?' he says after a while.

'Nup... I don't think you're doing it right.'

'No? How do you do it, then?'

'I think you're supposed to do it like this...'

I take his hand away from my neck, and he lets me. I bend his fingers so there are just his index and middle finger pointing up. Then I look up at him, at his eyes, and he's not looking at me, he's looking at his fingers, confused about what I'm doing.

I put them in my mouth, and the scowl he's forming as I do it, makes me want to shock him more. I start pushing his fingers further inside my mouth, feel them with my tongue, then out again, and in, and out, and I do it faster and faster, and I'm just looking at his eyes as I do it, and he looks completely disgusted by me, but he's still letting me do it.

Then he pulls his fingers away from me, my teeth grazing them. I stare at his shocked eyes, and he stares at where his fingers had been.

'That's how you do it,' I say, and I'm surprised my voice is so shaky.

He doesn't say anything, but I need him to say something so I wait for eternity for him to do it.

'I'm not a muppet, I know how you do it! I wasn't scared of what to expect, I'm not afraid of... oh... you weren't...? Ok...'

I don't know what he's talking about, but at least he said something.

I sit up, shut the door with my legs, and now I'm sitting beside him, shoulders touching.

'Why then?' he asks, staring ahead, and I can't look at him so I'm also just staring ahead. His room is just as dirty and messy as before, even the shattered glass is still there, and there are green stains on the window from when I spit his booze.

'I don't know.'

'It was sick...'

'I didn't think. I regret it now, and I'm sorry.'

'You're not very proper, Edge.'

'And you're not very proper, either, Luc. Why have you been avoiding me?'

'To prevent what just happened, I guess...'

'I hate myself.'

A long silence.