Solidarity of Ugliness

Even after the kissing, he is shy.

He's gone over to the window now, looking out at the view while he drinks. I don't know if he wants me to leave or not. He's probably wondering why I slept in his bed.

'I was high. I didn't want to be in my own room, and mostly I just wanted to do the opposite of what Nathan told me. I'm sorry if I shocked you.'

He doesn't say anything.

'I'm Edge.'

'I know,' he mumbles, not taking his eyes off the lake and the mountains.

'Did Nathan tell you about me?' I ask.

'Yeah.'

I go closer to him, and I know he notices because his body gets stiffer, but he just keeps looking out the window. Then when I'm beside him, seeing his face with lipstick still on it, he glances over at me for a brief second before drinking from his bottle again.

'Isn't it kind of early to be doing that?' I ask.

Instead of answering, he simply wipes his mouth with his sleeve. I have a feeling he's not drinking for the same reason people were drinking last night at the party.

'Can I have some?' I ask.

He seems surprised that I'd ask, but hand me the bottle anyway. It's small and green, and there's a little skull on it.

I drink some, but then I immediately spit it out, spilling green liquor on the window.

Luc doesn't laugh. He doesn't even smile.

'What is this?!' I shout.

'Strong,' is all he says as I hand him the bottle back.

I try to remove the awful taste by wiping my tongue with my scoop neck. When it doesn't work, I stop and stare at him.

'Why are you drinking that?'

'Dunno,' he says, but I know he's just saying it so he doesn't have to explain himself.

We're silent for a moment, and he's still not looking at me, but at the mountains in the distance, drinking, and I wonder what he knows about me.

'Did you know that I've been you?'

Another glance, but then straight back to the view.

'Nathan told me bout that.'

'And what do you think about it?'

'Dunno.'

'I think you're drinking green skull stuff so you can forget just how uncomfortable it is that I've been you.'

He doesn't answer.

'I'm totally right, aren't I?' I say, and I'm not saying this to be right or mean or pushy. I'm just trying to figure where he's at. Trying to test if it's possible to communicate with him.

'No,' he mumbles.

'No?'

'I'm not tryin avoid wha you know bout me.'

'You talk funny.'

'Ok.'

'No, but I really like it... It's a hot accent, I think.'

'Ok!'

'Sorry...'

I see him frown a little, and he's fickling with the bottle cap, and he's so strained even when he's clearly affected by the green skull.