I Hate Nathan

I'm listening to angry music because I'm angry at Nathan. Luc said I might find him in one of the Study Halls, and I do. It's a massive hall, and there are books and witches and just stuff everywhere.

I have to look around for a while before I spot him standing with two other witches by a table, looking at a stupid sword. He looks concentrated and proper and like the worst dad in the world. He's wearing all black, high neck, no wrinkles, all fine and sophisticated, but his short hair is messy and I know he's like Luc and doesn't care how he looks. He notices that I'm coming towards them, and I put away my headphones.

I shout at him; 'You told Luc I'm insane!'

His expression is blank and calm as always and I hate that he's calm.

'Hello, Edge, I am in the middle of an examination. Please wait until we are finished, and then we can speak.'

'No! You lied about me to Luc!'

'Edge, please. Not now.'

'You're shit!'

'Wait until we are finished.'

'I wanna watch,' I say, looking at the sword on the table.

'I suppose you can. Do not touch anything, and stay quiet.'

I stand still, arms crossed, and watch for a whole minute, and they're just standing there, staring at the sword, not saying anything, and it's weird. I go to take a closer look at it. It just looks like a stick, really.

'What are you even examining? Metal?' I ask and stroke the blade with my little finger.

'Edge. Do not touch. We are examining the magic inside it.'

'How do you do that?' I ask, finger off the blade.

Nathan ignores me, looking over at the other witches, silently apologizing to them. They're just standing there.

'Why aren't you talking?' I ask, picking up a ragged, old-looking book, thumbing through the pages.

'Don't touch anything, Edge!'

I raise my arms up in surrender, and the book flies across the room. I turn to look where it landed, but it hasn't. It's hovering in the air over me, and it's moving back to the table.

'You have the same Gift as Luc.'

'Edge, quiet.'

'But why are you so quiet?'

Nathan sighs, looking from the sword to me.

'We're speaking to each other via thoughts. If you can't stop making noise, you have to go, Edge.'

I wave my finger through the flame of one of the candles on the table. I look at my finger. It's glowing green now.

'Where do you buy candles like that? Target?' I ask.

'Master, he has to go,' one of the witches says, sounding irritated.

'Damn, your voice is so hot, why have you been holding it back, sexy?' I say to her, mimicking Román's accent, and I have the time to wave my finger through the flame one more time before Nathan grabs a hold of my arms, and is walking me out of the hall.

'Why are you sabotaging?' he asks when we're in an empty concrete hallway outside. He's still calm, blank.

'Oh, sorry, did you feel embarrassed?'

'Yes.'

'I'm sorry I'm such a humiliation to you, Nathan!'

'Edge, calm down.'