I Kill Him

It's a few days later, and this morning I asked shitface why he wanted to kill me, and he just said he didn't want to kill me.

I told him Gabriel said he did and he told me Gabriel isn't to be trusted, and that I shouldn't talk to him because he's just full of shit.

Then he told me as if the previous conversation didn't take place, that I have to meet Isabella and Mike tomorrow morning, and I told him, no, and he told me, yes, because the threats are even worse than Ben's and that it's only five minutes, and I had no choice. And then he left, and I wasn't angry anymore. I felt like I did when I woke up from the fever.

I told Luc about the meeting with Isabella and Mike, and he didn't say a word, and I told him it's nothing to worry about, I don't love God anymore, and then he drank and drank and drank. I cried because he didn't listen, he didn't care when I told him to stop, and he got so drunk, and he didn't say a word, and I told him it was nothing to worry about, that I don't love God anymore, it's just five minutes and I tell them what I told Ben, and he just didn't say anything, and he didn't kiss me back.

'Why are you sitting here all alone?' Poly asks, sitting down with me at the edge of the dock. It's grey and cloudy today, which is rare. The lake looks odd. Grey. I don't want to talk about what happened, and I don't want to say I'm here because Luc is too drunk to speak.

'I'm meeting someone tomorrow,' I say.

'I heard about that. Your ex-girlfriend and ex-best friend. Nervous?'

'What do I tell them so they loathe me, Poly?' I'm just staring down at my feet. White, dirty socks.

'Oh, ok... is it really necessary, though? They're actually just people, I think. We have all right to shits to Ben, but these kids... damn, they're passionate... It's just to say you're not interested in them.'

'What do I tell them so they loathe me?'

'Uhm... I don't know, Edge.'

'Why is Ben ok to be mean to, but not them?'

'Because, Edge... Neither of them is responsible for fucking things up big time like Ben is. They're innocent.'

'Yeah, very innocent. Forcing me to meet them. Fuck!'

'I don't blame them. Sometimes force is the only thing you can do to someone with amnesia. You don't remember them, and it probably really sucks for them.'

'They know what happened to Ben, why can't they just assume the same will happen and get over it.'

And I can't be here anymore.

'Edge? Did I say something wrong?' she asks, but I'm already on my way into the building, and in the lounging room, I see Román and Zixuan. They ask me what's wrong, and I don't say anything, and I just keep going. But then Poly grabs my arm, stopping me, and she's asking me what she said wrong, and why I'm crying, and I can't do this now, so I take a deep breath and go invisible. She lets go of my arms, nods slightly, and then I just keep going towards my room, and I don't want anyone in the world to see me, and no one does, and I go into my room, still invisible because it feels better to not be seen.

I hear Luc cry in the bathroom. I'm also crying, but it's the silent cry. He doesn't know I'm here, and I don't want to let him, either. I just want to look at him for the rest of my life. Look at him as I sometimes do at night when he's asleep.

I silently walk over to the bathroom, the door is open. Luc is sitting on the floor against the wall, his knees up together, calves apart, feet back together. White, dirty, socks.

He has something in his lap. He's writing. I go closer, very, very carefully. He's writing on a piece of paper, and he knows exactly what to write, even though he's drunk, and I look at him, his face, his tears, and then I look down at what he's writing, I see my name, and without thinking, I read what he's written so far.