Chapter 3

Anastasia's POV

As I stared at the professor, my mouth began to feel dry. I shut it quickly, realizing that it had been sitting agape.

"That is all for today. Bring your essays in tomorrow." Snape stated as the students shuffled out of the room. "Anastasia, is it?"

"Yes, sir," I turned and smiled at him.

"Speak with me for a moment."

"Of course."

"How are you understanding the course material so far?"

"Oh, not really at all, but I'm quite enjoying listening to your lesson nonetheless," I said excitedly.

"Well pay better attention if you would like to pass, because I am not responsible for your success."

My heart sank. I was just excited to be learning and I expected the Hogwarts teachers to appreciate my efforts, even if my abilities were lacking at first. "Of course, sir. Is there any method you suggest for catching up?"

"Hmmm. I suppose we could find you a tutor. Does that interest you?"

I hesitated for a moment. I sure needed to study, but I could learn the material on my own. I was perfectly capable. I just needed him to suggest some books for me to find. But then, he placed a list of tutors in front of me and, right there, at the tippity top of the list, was Draco Malfoy.

"I'd love a tutor actually," I smirked at my own mischievousness.

"Anyone on here interest you in particular?"

I pretended to ponder for a moment. "I suppose... Perhaps... Mr. Malfoy?"

"He is an excellent student. I trust he'll teach you well."

"I'm excited to meet him!"

***

Apparently, one of Lucy Bee's roommates requested a new dorm placement due to "maddening, excessive chatter" so that was now where I would stay.

"...but then she told me that the professor had indeed not meant for me to catch a live toad. Have you ever tried to wash mud out of robes?" Lucy took a breath to glance at me.

"I can't say I have," I shook my head.

"Well, let me tell you, I don't think it's possible. Mcgonagall was quite appalled when I appeared at dinner with it on, but I believe teachers should be more clear with their instructions if they don't want a child tracking mud into the Great Hall. Speaking of which, I think they're going to have some mashed potatoes at dinner tonight and mashed potatoes have always..."

I knew I wouldn't be requesting a new dorm assignment anytime soon. If anything, I quite enjoyed her ability to fill up the silence. As much as I liked to think, sometimes it scared me when the world was quiet. My thoughts move so fast that they can occasionally make my head spin. Perhaps Lucy will be my therapy dog, yapping to keep the racing thoughts away.

".... oh that boy. He's just absolutely magnificent I tell you. Wait until you see him. Although, maybe I don't want you to see him. I feel as though a princess has a better shot with him than a bee."

"Sorry, which boy?"

"His name's Ronald Weasley. Ugh he's got the most orange hair and always hangs around Harry Potter, so he must be mighty cool."

"Harry Potter?"

"Oh yes. Harry Potter: the closest thing to royalty before you got here. Although, I'm sure he's more admired than you wizarding-wise still and many of the pureblood families despise muggle-borns. He defeated he-who-must-not-be-named as a baby and it gave him this lightning scar on his fore- oh I hope you didn't take that rudely. Me saying he's more admired that is."

"Of course not! So far I know absolutely nothing of magic. He was here first anyway. I'd hate to take his place," I laughed.

"Oh I'm sure he wouldn't mind. He seems extraordinarily ordinary to tell you the truth. I'm thinking he might appreciate the break you've provided him."

"Oh trust me, they'll be back to him soon enough. As much else as I bring to the table, most only admire princesses for what they can see with their eyes. These luscious locks get boring to stare at after a week or so."

"Your luscious locks seem to be ones that will eternally amaze me if that helps," she joked. "But in all honesty, Ana- oh is it alright if I call you Anastasia or is it meant to be 'your majesty' or something?" Lucy fake curtsied.

"I suppose Anastasia will do just fine," I chuckled at her.

"Well, Anastasia, I value you for more than that already and I've barely gotten to know you. Here you're not a decorative piece. You're a Ravenclaw; Wise, accepting and creative. Don't let others see you any differently."

My heart fluttered a bit at this. I was no longer trapped in a castle, sitting in meetings every day with envoys of foreign countries. "Thank you, Lucy."

She nodded. "We best be off to dinner. I'll point out Ron when we get there."