Chapter 25

Anastasia's POV

In the middle of the night, I woke up to my blonde boy slipping from the grasp of my arms. He seemed mischievous so I didn't let him know that I was awake.

He put on clothes, snatched up his wand and stood in front of the door for several minutes then exited.

I got up, slipped a dress on and tip-toed out after him.

He rushed up the astronomy tower and I followed closely.

There he was, above me, with Dumbledore, holding up his wand threateningly.

Draco's POV

The man looked at me with sad, kind eyes. "Please, Draco. I once knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

I wanted to drop my wand; let whatever happened happen. But I thought of the sleeping face in my bed that I could return to if I did it and the little creation of love in her stomach that I had yet to meet. "I know exactly what choice I'm making. I'm sorry. I'm a good kid, Dumbledore. I think I am. But I'm also a bit selfish.

"Drac-" he began but I cut him off with a swing of my wand.

"Avada Kedavra!"

His body tumbled backward over the edge of the tower and I watched as he dropped story by story.

Anastasia's POV

"Avada Kedavra!"

And there the wise, old headmaster went. The life drained from him and he stumbled back. The wind caught his hair and, the way his arms rose as he began to fall, it almost seemed as if he were moving them.

I closed my eyes as he made his descent from the top of the building.

Draco shook and turned his eyes towards the sky.

He took hesitant steps down underneath the platform on which he had been standing and locked eyes with me.

Draco's POV

There she was right in front of me. She never seemed to be far when I needed her. I couldn't stop my body from shaking. Why can't I stop shaking? It was like an earthquake. My head spun and my heart ached and my eyes stung.

I collapsed into my girl, my night air, pressing my head into her chest, trusting the fabric of her dress to hold the spilling saltwater.

"I'm a murderer. I'm a murderer. I've killed an innocent man."

She squeezed me tighter and rested her cheek on the top of my head.

"The darkness finds me too easily. I just let it take me."

"Shhh stop."

"I'm a Malfoy. I'm made for this."

"No you're n-"

"I'm made to be evil."

"Stop it. Stop. Most death eaters wouldn't feel bad. Guilt is reserved for the pure of heart, my moon. Darkness draws people in because they can ignore all morals and all feelings that come along with evil deeds. As long as you hurt, you are not evil."

We sat as a jumble of tears for what seemed like hours until I spoke.

"I'm not strong enough."

"None of us are strong enough alone. But you're not alone."

I breathed in through the spit filling my mouth. "Please I just want the war to end. I can't do anything else for him. Please don't let him make me."

I felt her body tremble with sobs as well. "You know I would kill him right this second if I could. I would take on every last death eater if it would get you out of this." Her voice cracked, "I don't know what to do for you, Draco, I'm sorry."

"The death eaters are in the school now," I sniffled in an attempt to compose myself. I was upsetting her.

"And you were successful. You did what you had to. That's a good thing, Draco. They won't hurt you."

"But they could hurt you. I just want it all to end. I want to feel safe."

"Have you ever read A Little Princess?"

"I've seen you read it. It's your favorite book."

"That's right. 'I don't like it'" she began to quote the story, "'but then I dare say soldiers- even brave ones- don't really like going into battle.' Frances Hodgkin Burnett truly knew how to write a lovely story. You see, sometimes you must do things that you don't like. No matter how good or how brave you are, things get in the way. You don't have to like it. You just have to do it. And then it'll end and you'll have made it through."

"Don't leave me."

"Never."

I heard a cackle from Bellatrix, on her way up the tower steps. I shoved myself to my feet and motioned for Anastasia to hide. Once a few more death eaters reached the top, Anastasia managed to sneak down the stairs.

I was drowned in congratulations for this 'marvellous feat,' separated from the only person who knew me.