Chapter 23

A/N: Because Anastasia exists, some of the details of the timeline and such have changed for Draco so there will be some timing of events that are not consistent with the books/movies.

Draco's POV

It was already January of our sixth year. I had managed to keep my father's expectations at bay for a while.

My princess walked out from the bathroom as I entered her room. Lucy had reluctantly let me in as she sometimes did.

"Oh hello. You've made it," Anastasia spoke low and soft.

"I have. How are you doing?"

"I think well. I really do think I'm doing quite well. I have news for you though." The expression on her face was unreadable.

"What is it?"

She bit her lip.

"Anastasia?" I leaned in.

She sighed.

"You're worrying me. What is it that you have to say?"

She looked me in the eyes and placed a purposeful hand on her stomach.

I squinted for a moment and then widened my eyes. "I- you- you don't mean-"

Her head slowly nodded.

"You're not serious. You're joking."

Her face didn't change: sincere, uncertain, waiting.

A smile broke through my pensive face. "Blimey, Princess Midnight. Always a surprise. I know as a 16 year old boy in the middle of a war I should punch a wall or something right now. I mean, I don't even know how we let this happen, but... well, Midnight, is it bad that this is the best news I've ever received?"

Tears formed in her eyes as she shook her head. "No. I think not. I'm quite excited as well."

I lunged forward and wrapped my arms around her. "Oh!" I backed up and laid my own hand on her belly. "I don't want to hurt it."

"I don't think hugging me will do anything," she chuckled through the water dripping down her cheeks.

"How did you find out? How far along are you?"

"Just a week or two. In the muggle world I wouldn't be able to know so soon, but here they have spells for it. I check every once in a while just to be sure. I never expected anything but..."

I knelt down and began placing kisses upon the tummy where my child would soon grow. "What shall we name him?"

"Him?"

"Well, of course it's a boy. I'm meant to father a new Slytherin prince!"

"I think you'd be a wonderful father to a little princess. She could be a Slytherin as well. Or maybe she'll be a hufflepuff."

I faked a gasp. "Don't say such a horrid thing!"

My arms scooped her up and she wrapped her legs around my waist. Our lips didn't separate until I had laid her down on her bed and as my hands traced her body she whispered, "I don't know if we can do this when the resulting product is currently in the making."

"We're going to be a family. We're actually, truly, genuinely going to be a family."

"Yes, Son of the Moon. Our hope is on its way."

"No dark mark for you anymore, young lady. That idea has passed."

"No dark mark for either of us. We'll figure something out, Draco, but neither of us should be involved in this war."

I could still feel the stinging sensation under my sleeve, but I simply agreed. Today was a happy one. My news could wait until tomorrow.

***

I knew she was getting suspicious of where I'd been running off to, but she didn't ask what was going on. She always let me come to her in my own time. And I always did. Things were easier to carry when I shared the weight with her, but this one was heavy.

She was bringing her books back to her room, when I found her.

"Hello, my darling. I fear it's about time for me to tell you something."

"Now you're the one with the announcement."

"This one is much less pleasant. Here, sit down."

She laughed at my constant concern for her in the past two weeks. "I'm not a porcelain doll, Draco, I'm just pregnant."

"I know, I know. I just want everything to be perfect for our little one at all times."

"And it's sweet. You're the best father already."

My heart felt joyful but sank again when I remembered what I had to finally share with her. "Anastasia, my news." I looked back and forth down the corridor to make sure there was no one near and hesitantly pulled up my sleeve.

"Oh," she reached out and traced it with her finger but I concealed it again causing her to pull her hand back. "Even with the baby?"

"I did it the same day you told me. I did it barely an hour before I saw you."

"Two weeks and you didn't tell me?"

"Once you told me about the baby, I was afraid of upsetting you. I need you more than ever to stay out of it though, Annie. Keep our little one safe and I swear I'll do my best to ensure it has a father."

She took my hand and pulled me to sit next to her. "What tasks have you been assigned?"

"I'm working on mending the vanishing cabinet in the Room of Requirement so that death eaters can get into Hogwarts."

"Alright. Tell me how I can help."

"I'd like for you to stay out of it."

"Tell me how I can help," she repeated. I groaned but began explaining what I was currently stuck on. They expected it to be finished by April and I was nowhere near on track. With my genius little Ravenclaw, it could be finished by tomorrow.