Chapter 16

Draco's POV

For now, I had an excuse for hanging out with Anastasia. For all Crabbe and Goyle knew I was just hanging around her to get in her pants. I was free to be seen with her.

So I would be.

"Hello ladies," I slid into the seat next to Bee Girl at the Ravenclaw table.

"What do you want, Draco?" She rolled her eyes at me.

"No need to be cold, bumble bee. I just want to talk to your majesty over there," I leaned my head around her to look at Anastasia.

She looked at me with a face full of sadness, "she doesn't want to talk to you!"

"Annie," I stood up and held my hand out for her to grab, "a moment please?"

Her delicate hand slipped in mine and she gave her friend an apologetic look.

I pulled her behind me and out to the hall.

"Yes? You just miss me so much that you had to come grab me right now?" She smirked at me.

"Well, considering you're my official date to the Yule Ball... I was wondering... what are we going as? A date? Just for the night? Or... a couple?" I bit my lip confidently after I presented my question.

"What are you asking?"

"I'm asking if you'll spend some time with me. Not just the ball. Not just studying. You and I hanging out."

She pondered my offer for a moment, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

Her eyelashes fluttered and her blue irises were mesmerizing. Her face was a kind one, even when she had been so upset after burning her hand. Negative emotions didn't match her. It was kind of adorable. It was why I had to kiss her. Even in the midst of fury she was full of light. When I was angry, I always felt as though a creature of darkness was crawling up my skin, injecting itself into my veins; an evil monster that was begging me to give in.

But it was as if that monster had never even touched her.

Standing in front of her right now while she looked around the corridor and smiled at the ground, I wanted so badly to connect with her again, put my hands on her waist and press my lips to hers. But not now. She was worth everything. Her kiss was worth waiting for. I was afraid of myself and what this could turn into if I rushed things.

It felt like an eternity, but had probably only been a few seconds, before she pulled me out of my thoughts. "Yeah, I'd love to spend time with the Son of the Moon."

"Son of the Moon?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Oh," she giggled to herself. "That's what I've been calling you."

"Calling me? To who?"

"To myself. In my head."

"Why?" I laughed.

"Because... I looked up at the sky that first day-er- the ceiling rather- and I saw the moon. And then I looked down and saw you, so pale and so blonde," she reached out and ruffled my hair a bit... and I let her. "Like a child of the moon," Anastasia shrugged as if it was the only logical conclusion to come to.

"Well, in that case, you're to be called Princess Midnight."

"Why's that?" She spoke like her name for me was a simple fact, but mine was the silliest thing she'd ever heard.

"Dark hair, mysterious and I saw you sneaking into the Ravenclaw common room at midnight once."

"It's stuffy being around people all day. And you think I'm mysterious?"

"I'd like for you not to be. I hope I'm on the path to getting to know you better."

She crossed her arms. "Well, maybe I want to be a mystery."

"Don't worry. I think it'll be some time before we figure each other out. But we have all the time in the world right? Starting tomorrow after Ancient Runes. I'll let you return to your meal," I lifted her hand and kissed it softly, bowing.

"Finally you know how to properly bid a princess farewell," she re-entered the dining room.

***

I tugged at the grass on the ground and tossed the handful at Anastasia sitting across from me against a tree.

"You're gonna get grass stains on my book!" She shook it off.

"That book! We've only hung out for a few weeks and already all you do is read!" I sat up.

"It means I'm comfortable with you. There's a beauty in silence, you silly buffoon."

"But I want to talk. I want to learn all of your deepest darkest secrets," I crawled towards her.

She pulled her book over her face, "as if I'd trust Draco Malfoy with my deepest darkest secrets."

I pulled the book down so we were face to face. "Who better to trust them with?" I sprinkled the grass in my hand on her head and she jumped up and shook it from her hair like a dog.

"Malfoy!" Her hands shoved me back forcefully.

"Is that all you've got?" I taunted playfully.

She shoved again.

"Weak," I lunged towards her and she jumped to dodge my arms.

She squealed as she ran down the hill, but I caught up to her, tackling her and sending us both tumbling down the grass. We wrestled a bit until she was laying on top of me, staring straight into my face.

I sighed in defeat. "Someone tell me why I've fallen for a muggle-born."

"Shut up," she shook her head at me, snickering. "Muggles aren't that bad, you know."

"Not that bad? They're nasty and boring and stupid."

"Wow thanks. But really they're not. The muggle world is quite beautiful."

"How can you still think so after seeing the wizard world?"

"Think of it like this. Sure, magic is great, but have you ever just gone on a car ride over a rickety bridge, knowing it could collapse at any moment and you'd have no power to stop it? Or had to live knowing that, if you broke your bone at your rugby game, there's nobody who could heal it instantly? You play quidditch on your broom and when it wobbles you think of the nurse who will wave her wand and make the pain disappear," she flopped down next to me and stared up at the light blue sky.

"So you're telling me," I looked at her, "that the best thing about being a muggle is being powerless and scared of death?"

She nudged me, "no, Draco! But also sort of, yes. Muggles are far braver in that way than witches and wizards. Sometimes it takes standing in the face of mortality to see how courageous one can truly be. And muggles do so every day and just accept that there are forces more powerful than themselves."

I started to joke around again, teasing her and changing the subject, but everything she said always seemed to sink in deep.

I wondered if she realized that I was the exact opposite of what she admired about the muggle world.